kankakee float help?

Guest airbornemike

Guest airbornemike

Hey gents, The kankakee looks a little high but I think I'm gonna float it on saturday. Do any members have any suggestions on what stretch to float for this time of year? I'll be using the long rod and bugs, around my parts the bass are post spawn, dont know about this flow though.

Are any of the baitshops running shuttles? If not, is there a livery that runs one?

thanx and tight lines.

I'll be watching replies as I have the same question on shuttles. Thanks for your post!

Reeds would be your only shot at a shuttle and I'm not sure if they would. None of the bait shops offer any such service.

Generally the Reeds canoe trip with thier canoes runs from Bird Park Quarry [in Kankakee] to the old boat launch downstream from Warner Bridge. If you want to go shorter you can set off at the pipeline just downstream of Davis Creek but it's a long uphill walk to the parking lot. Another shorter option is to take the side channel at the head of Langham Island and put out at the Island View parking area in the K3 state park[it's just a few yards to the parking lot]. If you want to go longer go down to the boat ramp between Areas 9 and 10 on the south side of the river and take out there[ road comes right down to ramp].

Very shallow stretch down by sewage treatment plant in Bradley and at Wiley Creek. Watch out for heavy and braided currents by Devils Hole on south side of river just upstream from the K3 state park overlook. Heavy currents at Rock Creek and Willow Point rapids.

BTW, no smallies anywhere near this area, they are all vacationing in the Poconos.

Guest airbornemike

Guys I never made it over to the kank, went to the duper and had a fine day, but I appreciate all the feed back and info. Looks like reeds is my best bet for a shuttle, i called down to another bait shop and they confirmed the water was still up and the smallies were thin, so I'll wait a little more for some good conditions.

Norm thanks for the fine info on all the put ins and take outs, Ill use em soon.

I talked to Larry Reed when I took the safety vests back after the spring cleanup. He told me that if someone in your party rented one of thier canoes they would shuttle your private canoe for 1/2 the regular trip price. If it was just your private canoe it would be the full trip price.

Give me a couple days notice and schedule permitting I could drive you back to your put in point after you drop your vehicle off at the take out.

There was a guy who used to drop his bike off at the takeout and chain it to a tree. He would then go back to the put in and leave the car there. At the take out he would then chain the canoe to a tree and ride back on the bike path to get his car. A bit cumbersome perhaps but he was in great shape.

The bike path runs along the river about 11 miles or so, plenty of room for a decent float, I'd think.

• 3 weeks later...

There are a lot of guys here in the ISA that might partner up to do a float given that the timeing/scheduling of all parties coincides. I know that there are times I'd be more than glad to partner up with someone. I do the float with a one man pontoon and I've been known to shuttle as many as 3 pontoons at one time. Two fully inflated on top of my Explorer and one partially delated inside. It's not that hard with pontoons. Canoes on the other hand may require different tiedowns and supports. I can't say because I've never had to transport them. I've floated with canoes and kayaks, but never transported them. I gues the best thing to do is put out a general note asking before you decide to go to see if anyone wants to g with you. Or if you know someone who is interested, IM them and see if you can connect.