Rod carrier for canoe fishing

Dave Jones

I have just bought a 14 ft canoe. Looking for something to carry multiple rods while fishing from the canoe. Not looking for rod holders just a rack to carry when paddling. Any suggestions???

Dave J

• 4 weeks later...
I have just bought a 14 ft canoe. Looking for something to carry multiple rods while fishing from the canoe. Not looking for rod holders just a rack to carry when paddling. Any suggestions???

Dave J

Two rods max in the canoe I say. You're primary stick and an alternate in case of an accident. The potentail downfall of a canoe is the temptation to bring a ton of stuff you couldn't bring when you were wading. I've found myself in the postion of having so much stuff I waste time analyzing what rod/lure/line I'm going to use instead of breaking down the water I'm going to fish. I've started getting everything I think I want to take with me together the night before I'm going to go for a float and then cut it down by about half.

Guest airbornemike

I have two rods max and lay them on the forward seat as I have a center seat, simple easy to get to either rod. There's nothing attached to my gunnells, no rod holder sticking out grabbing at line.....I paddle a 14 footer also, keep it simple.

When floatfishing from my 17' shallow arch canoe (vs. flat bottom), I attach a set of sponses for added stability. This, in turn, permits me to also secure a second pre-rigged fishing rod by attaching it with a very small rubber strap (for quick release) to the rear sponse bar.

In absence of sponses, I concur with previous responses . . . minimize the amount of gear you take along and either restrict yourself to one rod or risk inadvertantly damaging your second rod.

Dave:

The rod holder I had when we went our trip works great. There is another type of rod holder that works great...............Bee Ready rod holders. I think the site is www.beeready.com When it comes to carry rods in the canoe, I disagree with all the other posts. With proper rod holders, you can carry three to four rods with ease. Anyone that has been in my canoe will attest that my rod holders work perfectly and are not any extra work or bulk.

Geez, guys, one of the beauties of using a canoe is that you can carry lots of stuff!

I carry 5 rods in the solo canoe (14 ft. Wenonah Vagabond) at all times. The trick is to experiment with how you'll carry the rods so that the tips are all inside the gunwales and the handles are within easy reach as you're floating. As long as you're reasonably prudent, and you're not floating class 2 or higher whitewater, you shouldn't even need to tie the extras down. I fish MO Ozark streams, and never tie the rods down.

One thing...it really helps if you use shorter rods. None of my canoe rods is over 6 feet long, and most are 5.5 feet. Shorter rods fit in the canoe a lot better. I can lay two rods with handles on the supports of the bench seat on either side of me, supported by the thwart in front of me, and with tips up close to the front end of the canoe. I lay one--a 5 footer, it's my topwater rod (it's easiest to work walk-the-dog topwaters with a very short rod when you're in a canoe)--with the handle on the thwart in front and the tip still fits under the front end cap of the canoe. And two with handles resting on the bench seat supports facing backward, with tips under the rear end cap of the canoe.

One idea I've seen that might be nice is to take some 3 inch PVC pipe, cut short sections, and fasten them where you want your rod tips to go (up against the gunwales or under the end caps). That way you can slide your rod tips into the PVC pipe sections, lures attached, and they wouldn't get tangled with each other. Another idea is to take short rubber bungee type cords and fasten them to the thwarts to hold down your rods as they lie across the thwarts. But I like to keep it simple, and just lay the rods down as I described.