The Infamous Fall Bite

Mike Clifford

What changes do you make (if any) in your lure selections and methods when the air starts to turn crisp?

Certainly the water temps are not far behind.

Something tells me it might be time to dig out some of the larger profile baits for some real Fall Hawgs!

Wait....I've been fishing big baits all year, lotta good it's done me.

Soooo....now must be a good time, right? I mean...it must be!

Right?

:huh:

For some reason, the Red Shad Sluggo keeps coming up as a winner for me around the third week of September the last few years. I see I've got a bag of pearl flukes in the bottom of one of my boxes, after checking.

Will definately give them a try soon.

Actually, these are 5 inch Super Flukes in albino.....

i killed some time yesterday on the dup in warrenville . had 3 in 20 mins of fishing to 14inch high muddy water ,i tried a chatterbait and got all three. had to cast upstream and retrieve down fast. rich

First off, I normally target the mid day period rather than first thing in the morning. Whereas in the summer I throw big and small baits, in the fall I tend to leave the small baits at home unless we have had a real nasty cold front, then I may rely on a few bitty baits.

I like bigger buzzbaits, Sammy 100s, Gunfish 95, bigger, fatter tubes, and five inch grubs. I, like Eric, are really targeting the brutes when October rolls around. Can't wait!

Good Luck! I shouldn't say that. I don't think you need luck when you're out with Mike. I've never had the opportunity to fish with Mike, but had a chance to talk with him at the Milwaukee Sports Show, and heard him speak at the "Blowout". Really a nice guy and sure knows what he's talking about. Let us know how you did.

• 3 weeks later...
I like bigger buzzbaits

Last week, before the warmup, I fished the South Vermillion and had a really good day after it heated up.

I was throwing a 1/4 oz buzz bait and getting short strikes.. I started following the miss by swimming a 4 " curley tailed worm and that worked for me.

For some reason the spots were on big time, all in one area, must have schooled up. This was the largest of the group and he had alittle rash going on.

This smallie was a brute. I dont know if the picture is out of focus because may arms are to short and I was shaking or I needed my flash on because of low light conditions. :)

Nice fish, Steve! That's the biggest spotted bass I've seen from the Salt Fork in a while.

I've been there 3 times recently and it's beginning to sink in that these fish might still need a subtle presentation. I did well with a #1 mepps, then it was slow the next week when I was throwing the #2. I went back tonight and switched to #1...and suddenly I'm landing decent fish again. The smaller plastic crayfish imitation also outfished the larger one.