Mushroom alert

Hit the mother load of mushrooms yesterday. These were the big boys. Most were bigger than a pop can you could see them from 40 feet away or trip over them. Found them around Champaign they were a little dried out. Should be good hunting just to the North right about now. Did an hour or so of walking before we found the first one.

Phil

Speaking of pain...while mushroom hunting I slipped and caught myself by grabbing onto a honeylocust tree. Had to take one for the team. I ended up with quit a few holes in my hand. Spent the last two days looking like Michael Jackson with one glove (full of triple antibiotic) on. No infection.

Billie Jeans got my mushroom...

Philf

Hit the mother load today in 2 spots in Winnebago county. My father and I must have got a hundred in only a few hours of hunting. There were a lot of big yellows up to 6 inches high. We also found some big clusters. This is the 1st time I ever had to go back to the car to empty out a bag so I could go get more. The 6th wettest spring on record is making for a good spring of hunting.

• 10 months later...

Anyone out there scouting for the elusive morel mushrooms? I found some today in Winnebago County. We really need some rain up here bad. They are just starting to pop little 1-2" shrooms. Some were already dried out never to get any bigger than 1". This is the earlist I've ever found them in Northern IL. It must be prime time for you central IL guys.

I've searched all over Moultrie and Shelby Counties while scouting for turkeys and have only found 1. It was only about as big as my thumb, too, which just doesn't make a very filling meal. Where the heck are people finding these things?!

-SB

Steve

Just slice it in half and double bread it. I got spoiled last year with those big ones you could trip over. I'm waiting for some rain but will keep an eye out if I go fishing. It's best to not plan to look for them. Go hunting or fishing and just casually look. If you plan a mushroom trip they will know you are coming.

Good Luck

Phil f

I'm looking at a bag with about 2 dozen in there. They are much smaller than last year since it has been so dry. Most are in the 2-4" range. The middle of dense forested areas have been the only producers for me. The key seem to be green moss on the ground. If there is no green moss then there doesn't seem to be enough mosture to produce. It doesn't hurt if you can find a few dead elms to look around.

How did you guys learn which ones won't make you take a dirt nap?

I only pick the morels. They're kinda hard to confuse with anything else:

post-780-127198974731_thumb.jpg

I know other folks collect some other types, but I follow the "if in doubt, don't touch it" rule.

-SB

You can't really go wrong with the morel. I do also hunt a few fall mushrooms like shaggy manes, hen of the woods and chicken of the woods. Those 4 are pretty easy to identify and don't have poisonous look a likes. There are plenty of internet and book picture references to help with an ID. If in doubt don't eat is a good rule to live by.

Just beware of false morels:

post-780-127202965533_thumb.gif

Note the different texture of the cap. Some people do actually eat these (after boiling numerous times to remove the toxins, and throwing out the water after each boil), but I would strongly advise against this. These things have killed more than a few misguided people over the years.

-SB