science on spawning bass

Guest airbornemike

I tried to research this article a little so I dont know if its been posted already or not http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/...90414153532.htm enjoy.

This article made me chuckle a little. Smallmouth I would think have the same inheritable trait. I've been out more than a few times on the Kank and have caught from one weekend to the next what I swear is the same exact fish in the same location. The chuckle was because a few years ago I got a one eyed smallie and last year I caught another one eye except that it was bigger. I have no idea if it was the same fish or not but I'm sure there are plenty of guys who would swear they also have caught the same fish over and over. I suppose I would have had a better guess if I had paid attention to which side the good eye was on. If only there was a winking icon.

That was a great article that put together a lot of things we were thinking. Besides, it gives us some great talking points when we have a bad day. If one draws a blank, blame it on evolution. "The LV fish that dominate lake X are almost impossible to catch." If one catches only dinks, blame harvesting patterns and evolution. "The strains that grow larger have been fished out leaving only genetically small fish in the lake."

On a more serious note, closed seasons and immediate release are practices that states like WI have had in place for a long time. The policies have tangible results. I like the idea of spawning preserves if waters cannot be closed for the spawning season.

One aspect that I did not see mentioned in the article was if there were any tracking studies done in conjunction with the research. I believe I've read other studies where bass were radio tagged & tracked, that some fish live their entire lives in deeper water where they may be more difficult for fishermen to locate and catch. What percentage of the bass that were never caught lived in the deeper sections of the lake where they may have never seen a lure? Since the entire study was not shown in the article. I wonder if location of the bass was taken into consideration?