Shabbona musky survey 4/16

Ed Buric & I had the chance today to help the DNR measure weigh & release fish from six trap nets at Shabbona Lake. Ken Klinefelter fisheries biologist from Hennepin performed the annual survey. Rich McElligott clued us in that they needed help. Short list - 20 musky most in the mid 30" or larger range with the biggest at 46" & 28 lbs. Also 5 walleye one female at 23" & 7+ lbs, 25 channel cats with 4 or 5 past 10lbs., 3 black crappie,6 bluegill & 2 large carp. Quite an education as I have always thought of Shabbona as overfished. Ten days prior they trapped walleye for spawn recruitment and took two eyes over 10lb. & most of the females in the 5lb class or bigger. Afterward Ed & I fished a little & were blanked, also didn't see anyone catching a thing. I guess there are just no fish in there! Thanks to Ken, theDNR & Rich for allowing us to help & for making Shabbona a prime gamefish producer. Ed took some pics to follow.

Guest rich mc

bass are not good species for the trap nets and the water is still too cold for them to move up. everyone learns something from helping on these type projects. rich