wading question

scotth

it really depends on the situation, on small streams you might need to take turns giving each other the first shots at the "new water". Sometimes you split it in half and cover different banks on small to medium sized rivers and streams. I think the best way is to stay close(spinning gear, fly gear you have to increase your distance apart) and throw different stuff to figure out what's working.

Leapfrogging is pretty common with two guys. One guy takes the first good spot, other the next. First guy finishes and moves past his buddy to the next hole. Etc.

Before I started flyfishing, I always let my flyfishing buddy go ahead of me, and I'd follow with my spinning gear, as it is more disruptive.

General Rules of wading etiquette for fly fishing:

1) Distance between casters is good. If you're confident in your casting skills this is less of a problem

2) If you're fishing the same spot, alternate casts in likely spots

3) If you spot fish, tell your fishing buddy where to cast in the hope he'll do the same

4) Wade quietly

5) Fish between 10-20 yards apart if you're worried about casting or fishing same spots

6) Assist in landing and unhooking fish

7) Help remove flies from trees, shrubs, hat, shoulders and other parts. Debarb hooks or know how to remove barbed hooks.

8) Share knowledge

9) Take photos

10) Be brave, leave spinning gear at home - or buy that 8wt you've always wanted!

Okay so point ten is because I'm biased, but you all know that all ready.

When in doubt, talk it over with fishing buddy so as to avoid hard feelings and trust to good common sense and decency. That way everyone will have a good experience, no trips to the hospital for hook removal and fewer spooked fish.

Guest Don R

Really good points above. The only thing I can add is that if you are guiding someone (and happen to be fishing too) always let the client have the first few casts into any new area.

General Rules of wading etiquette for fly fishing:

1) Distance between casters is good. If you're confident in your casting skills this is less of a problem

2) If you're fishing the same spot, alternate casts in likely spots

3) If you spot fish, tell your fishing buddy where to cast in the hope he'll do the same

4) Wade quietly

5) Fish between 10-20 yards apart if you're worried about casting or fishing same spots

6) Assist in landing and unhooking fish

7) Help remove flies from trees, shrubs, hat, shoulders and other parts. Debarb hooks or know how to remove barbed hooks.

8) Share knowledge

9) Take photos

10) Be brave, leave spinning gear at home - or buy that 8wt you've always wanted!

Okay so point ten is because I'm biased, but you all know that all ready.

When in doubt, talk it over with fishing buddy so as to avoid hard feelings and trust to good common sense and decency. That way everyone will have a good experience, no trips to the hospital for hook removal and fewer spooked fish.

Talking is a good thing to prevent hurt feelings and ruining a good friendship. If you're upset about something your partner does, tell him and if he's upset, he should do the same. Let him know in a diplomatib fashion. Don't try to be mean about it and ABOVE ALL.... don't make it a public spectical (during or after the fact) by announcing to everyone that someone pouched your fishing spot or did this or that as it only leads to hard feelings and it shows lack of class. It may be that you, in fact, were just as guilty of poor etiquette. Another thing to consider is that if you'r in a boat and fisning a spot, don't expect to take all of the good spots either by being at the place in the boat the gets to the spots first or provides the easiest casting strokes. If you're at the front of the boat or the side that is closest to the prime spots, let the other guy take a few casts to the same area or offer to switch spots. It's frustrating being on the other end having to fish water that;s been fished alreadyby your partner who already put the fish down.

If you're stalking fish, take turns at the front of the boat. And if your partner gives up the bow to give you a fair chance, remember to give it up to him in a reasonable tiee frame. A fifteen to 30 minute stint is a good rule of thumb. Anything beyond that you should ASK and don't assume that if you're at the bow you have a right to stay there. If you cahnge locations, assume that you will switch positions before you move, don't figuve you'll switch after you've had a shot at the fresh water.

I know I've been unintentionally guilty of pouching, but for the reasons given. The subsequent acitons led to a lot of hard feelings on both sides. All I can say is talk about it and don't develop an attitude that you have some right or did nothing wrong. Self introspection is good and it was for me.... I just hope my partner did the same thing and is willing to admit it to himself. It's the only way you can grow. And if after self introspection you realized that you may have been partially wrong... admit it to your partner. It's the only way to truly smooth ruffled feathers.

Sometimes it can enhance the fishing experience to be cutthroat with good friends. Then add trash talking and ripping on each other. A couple of buddies and I do this just about every time we get together, but we've known each other since we were kids. Its like we're 15 years old all over again.