Multi Tip Fly Line ??

Guest smallmouthfisher

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

Any thoughts out there about this.. I tried it cast nice but something holding me back...

I have the Rio Versi-tip line. I would recommend purchasing this as it has two additional sink tips. All heads are 15'.

The neutral density ghost tip is really sweet.

Mark

so do you use the tips and tie the directly to the fly>? or do you use a leader and tie them to the tips?

Rio provides a welded loop connection on the fly line and the fly line end of all tips. I then place a rio woven loop connection to the leader/tippet end of the heads and attach the mono/floro to this. The connectors are sold in 4-6 packs (depending on the line weight) with heat shrink tubing, but always use a drop of Superglue at the shink tube to be safe.

Use 3-4 feet of straight tippet only on the neutral density and sink tip heads. A leader is not needed as the weight of these lines will turn the fly over well and use your desired leader/tippet on the floating tip.

Mark

I like John's suggestion to use a minihead sinktip on a floating line.If you need more than that might be best to just carry a spare spool with a sinktip to alternate with a floater.I used an Airflo multitip fishing the surf in Ireland 10 years ago.It didn't cast as pleasantly as a dedicated line and on top of that the mono connection broke rendering the line to the trash heap.

The loop on sinking leaders of 3 to 5 feet are fairly easy to cast. I have a couple of sets of the RIO versi-tip lines with the fifteen foot heads and find that the welded loops, even with a saltwater rod (larger guides) are very annoying going in and out of the guides. They even got stuck once and lost me a very nice fish. For once I actually agree with ronk, if you want a sinking line, get a spare spool or a dedicated rod just for it. I find that most times that I'm actually using a sink tip over five feet long, I'm usually in a boat so I have multiple rods anyway.

Personally, I'm not a fan of interchangeable tips. Depending on the lengths, sometimes they have a tendency to hinge. On shorter tips and shorter casts it might not be a big problem. If you're using longer sink tips and casting longer distances, I would definitely go with a sink-tip line. If you are fishing in different water column depths throughout the day, then carrying 2 lines and 2 spools would be most ideal.

Personally, I'm not a fan of interchangeable tips. Depending on the lengths, sometimes they have a tendency to hinge. On shorter tips and shorter casts it might not be a big problem. If you're using longer sink tips and casting longer distances, I would definitely go with a sink-tip line. If you are fishing in different water column depths throughout the day, then carrying 2 lines and 2 spools would be most ideal.

The loop to loop connections eliminate hinging.

If you are fishing in rivers in Illinois, I think that using a sinking leader (5 to 10 feet) will work fine and cost you less money than the 15' interchangeable sink tip lines. With a fast sinking leader, a fluorocarbon tippet and a lightly weighted fly, you can get your fly banging the bottom in most rivers around here. If you are fishing in deeper rivers or in lakes, then a longer sink tip line with different sink rates makes some sense.

I cast the RIO interchangeable sink tip lines four or five years ago and it was OK. It seemed to get caught in the guides pretty easily, but they might have improved the looped connection since then.

If you want to use a sink tip line that works well in rivers around here, check out these:

Teeny Mini Sink Tip

Teeny Mini Sink Tip Plus

I have a the regular Teeny Mini Sink Tip lines and it casts well, sinks quickly, and makes a terrific line for fishing in windy conditions.