Corps of Discovery revived for conservation

Corps of Discovery revived for conservation

Feb. 16, 2009, 10:22 am

By Bill Byrns

bbyrns@daily-journal.com

815-468-7349

There is a thrill in the air as winter slowly retreats and folks once again explore the seasonal change from snow to early spring.

It's that sense of curiosity that lies at the heart of an ambitious reincarnation of the "Corps of Discovery" by the Illinois Natural History Survey.

The concept captures the spirit of the 1803 Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery Expedition. "That two-year transverse of the American West generated the most famous nature journals ever compiled," said INHS' Michael Jeffords, one of four people who established a volunteer corps of discovery program.

River Corps of Discovery

Now the Champaign-based Prairie Rivers Network is partnering with the Survey to establish a volunteer "Rivers Corps of Discovery" for the streams of east central Illinois.

The goal is to "create a total aesthetic picture of Illinois rivers and floodplain ecosystems as they exist today and into the future."

Scientific articles capture the details, but often miss "the total complexity or aesthetic appeal of nature," Jeffords added.

Descriptive writing, nature sketches, wildlife photography and photo journaling complement more technical skills that make up river corps training.

The program, he says, is interested in participation from the Kankakee and Iroquois rivers basin.

"We are offering 50 skills building activities that all contribute to documenting a landscape," Jeffords said.

Training begins in April

Five day-long workshops begin on April 16 at the Survey office in Champaign. Space is limited and participants must register by March 15. A $75 fee covers training and course materials, Jeffords said.

"Over the past few years we have found that Illinois citizens desire a deeper knowledge and a more thorough understanding of their state," he added.

River Corps of Discovery volunteers have already been trained to record the rich diversity of the Cache River wetlands in southern Illinois, the Nature Conservancy's Emiquon Preserve along the Illinois River and at Allerton Park on the Sangamon River near Monticello and at Lost Mound at the former Savanna Army Depot along the Mississippi River in northwest Illinois.

More info:

http://prairierivers.org/articles/2009/02/...s-of-discovery/

Mike,

I called about this program and asked if they would offer it again next year as it conflicts with my Illinois Master Naturalist program.

I was told it would not be offered again next year but that there may be follow up classes for those that took the intial class this year.

If anyone wants to participate you have to take this year's class.

Mike,

I called about this program and asked if they would offer it again next year as it conflicts with my Illinois Master Naturalist program.

I was told it would not be offered again next year but that there may be follow up classes for those that took the intial class this year.

If anyone wants to participate you have to take this year's class.

Actually, you need to take 4 or 5 classes....all in Central IL.