getting started in flyfishing

dholschuh

I everyone out there . This is my first post .My wife bought me a new flyrod and reel combo set for Christmas.However I'm pretty clueless on what type of flies I should carry or what smallies even like.I live in whiteside county and fish for smallies frequently on the green river and also bureau creek.Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Dustin Holschuh

Rock Falls,IL

for smallies you cant go wrong with any craw pattern good luck and dont get discouraged, stick with it , its a blast. check some of the old post in the bass buggers submissions section that were posted by me (Joe D) I posted a few pics of some craw patterns.

Joe

What Greg and Craig really meant to say was "Jude Bug".

Seriously, a topwater and a clouser should keep you really busy. I know it probably costs me fish, but I rarely drag the bottom with the fly rod.

Congrats on the fly rod. You'll have a ball!

I everyone out there . This is my first post .My wife bought me a new flyrod and reel combo set for Christmas.However I'm pretty clueless on what type of flies I should carry or what smallies even like.I live in whiteside county and fish for smallies frequently on the green river and also bureau creek.Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Dustin Holschuh

Rock Falls,IL

Hi Dustin

I'm the lurking cheesehead of the site. The choice of flies you might use has a lot to do with your flyrod as well as the locations you fish. Not to mention your line, casting ability etc.

A good selection of flies to carry might be clouser minnows, wooly buggers, a few poppers in various colors, a crayfish imitation or two, and perhaps a few streamers.

To be honest smallies can be pretty darn agrressive at times and will take anything they can swallow including mice, frogs, crayfish (very important on their menu!) leeches, ducklings, and all manner of smaller fishes. At other times they can be "keyed in" to specific insects. Hellgramites, dragon fly nymphs, stone fly nymphs hexagenia limbata mayflies (the great big ones to about 2.5 inches) There are not many limitations to what they will take at any given time.

Look around the site here, there are several really great looking patterns that have been put together by these guys. I know that richmc does some incredible things with a bohemian yarn that just scream big fish!

Welcome to the maddening addiction of flyfishing smallmouth bass but be warned once you start catching smallies on a long rod there is no turning back.

Good luck,

Don

careful, the fly rod bug bites very hard, and then you will be infected for sure. no cure at this time :o I am horribly infected and it is easy to pass on to others. john graham is getting pretty bad just from talking to me :blink: while not a cure, fly fishing will help the symptoms.......good luck

Joe

Guest rich mc

welcome dustin. you joined at the right time. ISA has started a western region that starts at shabbona and goes west.the Green river is a target for us this year. and the idnr is doing the 5 yearsurvey there this summer, which we will assist on. we will do a fly casting event this springout west somewhere. i sent you a email , can you help at the quad city show? rich

Dustin,

As a beginner you should use flies that are ez to cast.2 of the easiest that are also productive are ISA member Jude's bassbug for surface fishing and a clouser minnow for subsurface.Those flies are all you'll need to get started.

It won't do you much good to know good flies unless you know how to cast 'em.Your 1st priority should be doing that.Google flyfishing to find how to flycasting/flyfishing dvds.Check out the flyfishing section if there's a BassPro store in your area.

Be aware that you won't go far into the sport unless you're willing to make a commitment.

P.S. I've driven over Bureau Creek on I-80.Looked good.How's the fishing and access?

Dustin,

As a beginner you should use flies that are ez to cast.2 of the easiest that are also productive are ISA member Jude's bassbug for surface fishing and a clouser minnow for subsurface.Those flies are all you'll need to get started.

It won't do you much good to know good flies unless you know how to cast 'em.Your 1st priority should be doing that.Google flyfishing to find how to flycasting/flyfishing dvds.Check out the flyfishing section if there's a BassPro store in your area.

Be aware that you won't go far into the sport unless you're willing to make a commitment.

P.S. I've driven over Bureau Creek on I-80.Looked good.How's the fishing and access?

The fishing is good however access is very tough.I work for the railroad as we cross this creek several times so I know some pretty out of the way places.

welcome dustin. you joined at the right time. ISA has started a western region that starts at shabbona and goes west.the Green river is a target for us this year. and the idnr is doing the 5 yearsurvey there this summer, which we will assist on. we will do a fly casting event this springout west somewhere. i sent you a email , can you help at the quad city show? rich

Sounds awesome starting a Western region.I know of several places in my area where smallie fishing is excellent including the Green river.I would like to help at the qc show however I work for the railroad and am on call 24 hours a day.Sorry to bum you out.

There are not any smallies in the Green River. ;)

I have to agree with Jonn.

Oh wait, now I remember.... that fish came from somewhere NEAR the Green River! HA

Dustin, notice the ;) in Jonn's post. Kinda like saying there are no smallies in the DuPage, except that there ARE no smallies in the Dup! :unsure:

I have to agree with Jonn.

Oh wait, now I remember.... that fish came from somewhere NEAR the Green River! HA

Dustin, notice the ;) in Jonn's post. Kinda like saying there are no smallies in the DuPage, except that there ARE no smallies in the Dup! :unsure:

Ok Gotcha now.You know now that I think about those 2 big smallies were caught CLOSE to the Green River :P

Dustin:

I am glad to see that you "got" my sarcasm. I always feel it is best to keep certain rivers "close to the vest" if you know what I mean. Just to let you know, I grew up in Prophetstown and most of my family is all from Whiteside County.

I hear you there on keeping certain places "clost to the vest". I have several places that I keep closed lipped about.I grew up in Rock FAlls and fished mostly the Rock River growing up.

Don't listen to Craig. One of his personalities is also called Jude. You see how he's arguing with himself? :blink:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

I'm a schizophrenic

And so am I

Sincerely,

Craig