shabbona Rockfest

Guest rich mc

Guest rich mc

no its not a rock concert. Rockfest has been ongoing for 9 years with two years cancelled due to no ice. The ISA and drift have been supporting this rock habitat project at Shabbona Lake, which is run by the Shabbona Lake Sportsman club. All 3 clubs will donate a 20 ton truckload of rock

we will meet at the park office at 8 30 am. goal is to place about 10-14 tons of rock at specifically cut holes in the ice. atvs and snowmobiles are allowed to drag plywood sleds of rock to 3x3ft holes cut in the ice with a chain saw. area to be enhanced is out from the spillway on a underwater point, in 10-12ft of water Prime area for smallies. should be done around noon , just in time for a cookout. let me know if you plan to attend. another 50 tons will be placed later this spring by bobact to build out a shore point to stop erosion and give anglers better shore access rich

Guest rich mc

yes its a safety issue.it might hold the weight now but if an angler drills a hole nearby theice will bend down and the weight of the water will cause a big hole. the ice may also shiftand will fall just off the spotit was intended. sorry about thedate, i was posting it on several siteand forgot it here. rough day and night with the pups rich

Guest rich mc

mission accomplished. around 28 people showed up with 4 quads and snowmobile. we dropped 20 tons and were done about noon, just before it got real sloppy. isa members helping wre mike chronik, tom urda, larry varsek and mitch scwarz. several people took photos and i will track them down. the one rockpile was made in an area that doesnt have alot of rock. more smaller rock were added shallower ,on the ice . this will improve smallmouth habitat. rich