more recipes

Guest rich mc

Good flytying website, Rich . . . always looking for new patters.

On somewhat related note, let me know when the crappie decide to start biting at Shabbona this Spring . . . always enjoy the crappie season + smallies along the dike.

Guest rich mc

steve, they dont stop biting. they are biting now thru the ice, at ice out and early spring. its just knowing where they are. they smack small flies all thru open water. rich

Rich . . . having fallen thru the ice while fishing during my earlier years, only to be rescued by a group of boy scouts, you'll never see me ice fishing again. Will wait until the ice clears and then bring my canoe, trolling motor and fish locater to track them down. Will let you know in advance . . . perhaps you'd be interested in joining me and "show me" where the crappie are.

steve, I'm with you. it always makes me nervous watching those guys driving trucks out on the ice!! last year I read a article about a guy driving on the ice like he did every other year, and went in. it was wierd cause a huge school of carp was in the same area . by swimming fast in circles over and over they created a warmer spot in the water and it didnt freeze like the rest of the lake. it didnt seem to me that could happen. but I did see the news video clip as well and made me a believer.

Joe

While I haven't done it in years during the many when I ice fished often I fell thru once.Luckily I was able to get out almost as fast as I went in. It was my fault for going out too early in the season before the ice was safe.The most dangerous ice however is actually late in the season when cleavages are formed thruout the thickness of the ice due to repeated thawing and freezing leaving the ice weak even if it's still thick.Look at the ice you drilled to form the hole as you remove it. If this loose ice has stairstep type cleavages you'll know this is happening.

The scariest experience experience I had ice fishing was at a quarry late in the season.It was a warm day and I was the only guy out.After about 30 -60 minutes I noticed water forming all around me.I kept fishing for awhile longer stupidly thinking it was due to the mid 40 air temps thawing the ice, which was still about 6" thick, at the surface.When I finally realized that the ice was actually sinking beneath my weight I made for shore about 50 yds away.When the ice started cracking beneath my feet I got down on my hands and knees figuring I could go spread eagled to spread out my weight if I had to in order to avoid going thru.Needless to say I was never happier to get on solid ground.