Hopper and a dropper

Rob G

Does anyone use the equivalent of the western hopper and dropper for smallies? I was thinking about a large topwater grasshopper or popper pattern with a smaller size 8 or 10 wooly bugger being pulled below. Or how about running two small wooly buggers in maybe different sizes or colors in tandem similar to a multiple nymph technique ? I'm just wondering what it would be like to pull off a double on smallies :o

The HOPPER dropper rig for trout is used, because the dropper is usually so small as to not pull down the hopper. A fly small enough to not pull down the hopper probably won't entice a smallie of any size. There IS, however, a POPPER dropper rig that can be used successfully. I have a Zara spook special, that has a belly treble, but the line is designed to feed through the body to allow a dropper at the rear. I only bought it, because I had not seen one before...or since. It might be a collectors item.

Anyway, the other problem is that a dropper combo can be a bear to cast. I usually stay away from them, unless the fish are being moody and it is the only way to get a bite.

I sometimes fish for panfish using a popper with a trailing nymph, and it is not unusual to get doubles. It is a pain to cast, however, and tangles are frequent. I have also used double nymph rigs when trout fishing, but the casts were relatively short and tangles are still a problem. The double nymph rig is effective, though.

Casting with enough line speed to move a smallie sized popper along with another fly big enough to entice smallies to hit sounds like a pain to me.

Guest airbornemike

i use a medium sized popper for largemouth followed up by a nymph of your choice..say a size 6 to 12 prince/pheasent tail/wooly bugger...........keeps things intersting if the gills are good eatn size. mike

Because the surface patterns are much larger for Smallies than they are for Trout and will resist being pulled under, you are open to picking any subsurface pattern you want.

The hopper/dropper setup for trout isn't limited to only hoppers and Copper Johns as John Barr would lead you to believe. Any large dry like a Stimulator, Wulff, etc.. will work with most nymph patterns. The key for trout fishing is to find the combination that allows the dry to float well/naturally while trailing the nymph.

Make sure you throw them with an open loop or you'll have a mess on your hands.

MP

Given the way a tandem rig compromises casting which is a big part of flyfishing's enjoyment I would resort to it only for trout when it's difficult to determine what they want. It's not necessary for warmwater species and would often be counterproductive reducing casting accuracy which is so often crucial for success.

gamakatsu makes a new product that is called a "dropper bead". it has a hole through the center to slide alond the leader and also a small hole through the side to attach your tippet for the dropper fly. its a pretty neat set and they have it on their site. so far I like it and have no problems with it. I know GAT guns has them because I got ot from Ken D. might be something to look into if you want to use the dropper method..

Joe

Could run into the problem of small, fast, agile fish taking the small bait too much, often while a bigger fish eyeballs the popper.

[Gear rant]

Have thought about a tube dropshot tube combo or two 5" flukes dropshot style. The bottom tube would be weighted as normal, the other bait up the line would be directly on the line with palomar style knot.

I decided it was probably too 'riggy' for my style of fishing. Being able to switch lures quickly is important than presenting two baits.

Then there are the couple dozen or so times a year when a school of bass follow in trying to steal away the bait from a hooked fish. [/Gear rant]