Hello from Wisconsin

Donnie W

Hello folks,

I just found this site today. I was looking on the net for some new smallie patterns to tie. I am in central Wisconsin and though I see that this is kinda an Illinois site I thought I might pick up some tips/ new ideas. I fish everything with the long rod from trout to walleyes,bass, pike etc.

I have most of my trout patterns tied for the upcomming season and now I'm getting around to the big stuff. I have two very nice rivers within minutes of my home and get to fish them pretty often when I'm not fishing trout or guiding trout anglers. The smallmouth are a real treat to me because I generally fish them alone or perhaps with another person that I choose to spend time with, a nice break from the trout. Though please don't get me wrong I dearly love them too.

I am pleased to see the conservation minded posts that I have been fortunate to read since looking around the place. It is always nice to see like minded sportsmen whether they fish with traditional bass gear or like myself enjoy the fly rod.

This is a nice place you've got here I hope ya don't mind a cheesehead pokin around just a bit.

regards,

Don

Wisconsin?

Do they have fish in that state?

HA

Stop in any time for a chat. There are some really great fly fishermen on these boards and we (usually) a very respectful place to exchange information.

Guest rich mc

welcome don. we have some excellent fly tyers in our organization and many that fish wisc waters.ill send youa pm and we can swap some flies if you want. rich

Wisconsin?

Do they have fish in that state?

HA

Stop in any time for a chat. There are some really great fly fishermen on these boards and we (usually) a very respectful place to exchange information.

Don . . . did I miss the website? As a fly tyer, would like to access. Thanks.

Don . . . did I miss the website? As a fly tyer, would like to access. Thanks.

Steve,

I meant this particular site.

Jim,

We don't have many fish up here, the winters are too long and too cold. We do have a few bronzebacks that we keep in circulation. I agree you seem like a good bunch.

Rich,

sounds like a fair Idea.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Don

Donnie,

It is good to run into another tyer. You will find some excellent SMB patterns in the Bugger forums.

In case you don't find it. Here is one of the best by ISA member Craig Riendeau. We don't leave home without one.

20040921HairyFodder2_w5.jpg

For instructions try:

http://www.dupageriversflytyers.org/DRIFT0...p?In_fly_nbr=57

Lately we have been tying it on 60 degree Eagle Claws (410 or 413). It is not one of those whispy trout flies as you can see.

Even though you live in cheeseland, you might want to join the ISA. The newsletter always has flies and other great articles on Smallie fishing. Or join the WSA ( http://www.wisconsinsmallmouth.com/ ).

PS Here is another version of how to make the Fodder.

http://georgiariverfishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6094

Fodder11.jpg

craigs flies are now being sold thru rainys flies.

Rich,

I checked the Rainy's Flies website, but I can't find Craig's flies. Do you have a link?

I really like that hairy fodder. It looks like a fairly easy tie too. I did something similar with a product called silly yarn or party yarn or some such thing. Good looking fly that looks like a great crayfish imitation. I'll try it out! I'm tying baitfish imitations at the moment and trying to find a good dragon fly nymph imitation. I've got some ideas using pheasant rump ala Carey special that I'm playing with. One of the waters I frequent has a tremendous population of dragons that seem to hatch right during the post spawn period. I find their exoskelotons attached to everything.

ONLY 3 1/2 MONTHS TO SUFFER!!!! :rolleyes:

No open rivers up there? Maybe a cold spring fed creek?

LOL! Oh yes there are some open spring creeks and I fish them for trout, However they are 3.5 hours away and I won't fish trout unless the air temps are above freezing. It only takes seconds to freeze the gills of a fish once exposed to air. So in efect any trout removed from a 40 degree creek has been handed a death sentence.

There are also a few steelhead in the tribs but lots of them are iced up right now as well. I'm not crazy about ice fishing so I guess I'll just keep crankin out flies...

LOL! Oh yes there are some open spring creeks and I fish them for trout, However they are 3.5 hours away and I won't fish trout unless the air temps are above freezing. It only takes seconds to freeze the gills of a fish once exposed to air. So in efect any trout removed from a 40 degree creek has been handed a death sentence.

There are also a few steelhead in the tribs but lots of them are iced up right now as well. I'm not crazy about ice fishing so I guess I'll just keep crankin out flies...

Can't blame you then, 3.5 hours is too far. Tie on brother!