Looking for a new rod spinning rod

johnk

I’m in the market for a 7 foot Medium Light spinning rod. I’ve always been a big fan of St. Croix with their Premier Series. One thing I like about St. Croix is the long handle that I can support with my forearm.

I’m looking for a rod for around $100 bucks or so. Any suggestions? Let the search begin… ;) THANKS!

I highly recommend St.croix avid 6'9" ML XF for all your smallie fishing needs. 100 won't get you there however. You should go for the lifetime warranty rods if you can get up the cash.

Thanks, you're the second person that has told me that. I will consider the Avid rod.

I just ordered a spinning rod from Elk River Custom Rods (http://www.elkrivercustomrods.com/) I ordered a BSP66M. This is a new company in Phillips WI. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I've talked to the owner, Marc Maronne a couple of times. He's a really nice guy, and says all the correct things. I read a post on another web site, where one guy said he was going to sell all his St Croix Legend Elites and replace them with Elk River Rods. I had to try one. I'll post again when I get it. Then I can wait till spring to try it out and let you all know.

The thing that caught my attention about Elk River Custom Rods is the price ($159) does not seen like "Custom". They look very nice on the internet. Guy posting that he's replacing his St. Croix rods with Elk River. We'll see. I should have it some time this week. I'll post when I get it, and let you all know.

Now John, why haven't you checked with your personal tackle consultant at Al's Tackle Supply? :lol:

I've got the St. Croix 7' Premier medum-light you mentioned. This was money well spent. If I had one complaint, it's that it's a 1-piece rod. It's got a nice sensitive tip and plenty of backbone down the blank. And, you're on target with the long handle.

Happy shopping!

Now John, why haven't you checked with your personal tackle consultant at Al's Tackle Supply? :lol:

I've got the St. Croix 7' Premier medum-light you mentioned. This was money well spent. If I had one complaint, it's that it's a 1-piece rod. It's got a nice sensitive tip and plenty of backbone down the blank. And, you're on target with the long handle.

Happy shopping!

Hey Michael - You know I did, he just picked up a new rod and reel which I like very much. After all these years of being the "duplicate" I thought I would adventure out on my own. Al does his research so it's easy to jump on the bandwagon, I sure hope he grabs some new baits this year, he slacked off a little this year! :lol:

Thanks for the advice on the 2 piece rod, all my rods are 1 piece. I don't know what it is but I have always been partial to 1 piece.

If you want to stay within your 100$ range Shimano Compre's are nice. As of two years ago they also came with a warranty...not sure if they still do?

Thanks Eric, I looked at those yesterday. They looked very nice, it good to know you like them. And yes, my brother suggested I check them out! <_<

• 3 weeks later...