Winter read

Jeff Nevenner

At last nights central Illinois meeting John was kind enough to share a couple of books about smallmouth bass and fly fishing. It got me thinking that with winter soon upon us that a few of us (not brave enough to go out in the winter to fish) might share a few of our favorite magazines or books to read in the winter.

My 3 favorite magazines are:

In-Fisherman

Bass Masters

North American Fishing club magazine.

Book:

Smallmouth Bass: an In-Fisherman handbook of strategies.

Any of John Gierach's books are great reading. He mostly writes about fly fishing for trout, but he nails a lot of the subtle details about fishing (not the technical stuff) that river rats can really relate to.

Guest rich mc

im not a big reader. what i will do more in the winter is look up fly fishing sites to get ideas on flies .there are some sites that post full detail photos of the tying steps. rich

Books- seem to get outdated quick. Wasn't long ago I was reading an expert telling how Smallmouth are dormant in the winter and couldn't be caught below 40F. With the advent of the internet, you can get the best information from those experienced on similair flows. I'd rather talk to real anglers.... Well as long they have entertaining stories vs primping. That's why INSA Stravaganza and ISA Bronzeback Blowouts are great events.

I like Gierach too. I can go on a couple fishing trips with John and his buddies while on lunch bread at work. It's a relaxed read and even makes me laugh out loud sometimes. For some good fishing fiction, (totally different from conversing with fishermen) check out "Fishing's Best Short Stories" edited by Paul Staudohar. No 'how to's on my list yet, but I am planning on picking up Clousers Flies at some point. I've been picking up 'Fly Tyer' and MW Fly Fishing more regularly.