Fast action fly rods

Jonn Graham

Right now I have three fly rods. All redington crosswater models with all of them being rated as Medium-fast. From all my research, the medium fast action is a great action for a beginner like me. Now the question becomes, when will I know when I am ready to upgrade to a "fast" action fly rod?

From my readings it sounds like a fast action rod can be a benefit in many instances, but can be tough to handle if one does not have the competency.

Any ideas?

Jonn,

3 outfits should certainly should cover the gamut of the kind of fishing you do. Instead of shelling out for yet another concentrate on improving casting with the ones you have.Plenty of time to think about "upgrading"to a fast action after you do and once you do you may find there's no reason to do so.In flycasting as in many endeavours "it's not the arrow it's the Indian."While not as powerful moderate fast rods are easier and generally more enjoyable to cast providing a more tactile experience.And with all the$ you save you'll be able to buy beaucoup tapered leaders!

Fast is a specialized tool to increase distance, overcome wind & cast heavier flies at that rod weight. The compromises are numerous but the simple fact is stiffer rods feel soulless & the fight once you hook up isn't as much fun. Some of the best casters I know only fish moderatly fast rods unless the conditions prohibit getting the fly in front of the fish. I plan to have an indoor casting outing similar to the Cast & Compare this winter looking at just this facet featuring graphite, fiberglass & (if I can get a couple) bamboo. If I get this together you should try to come, Jonn.

John l's reply is fairly accurate. However, I fish with a Sage RPL+ 6wt. This has been my staple smallmouth rod for years. I have also used a Sage XP 5wt. Now, while there are times, in the summer heat where a med-fast action can allow for a more relaxed casting stroke, I find that I'm trying to beat the wind more days, than not. May-June can be really windy!! The fast action rod is really a wind/distance rod. I have done a good bit of bridge hopping to get a feel for where the fish were without a lot of wading. A med/ med-fast rod would not allow this kind of casting. Nor do they set the hook well in these situations. I realize, not everyone does this, but I do. I also might have to reach a spot that I cannot wade to. It's paid off more times, than not. I seem to need to distance cast a lot. It's not a "hang-up", or "problem". It's that many times you just can't get to where the fish are. At least, not without a great deal of foot work...and I have a steel plate in my leg. I can't get around like others might be able to. Nor, do I care to waste time hiking 1000yds to make one cast. The fast action excells here.

Now, all that said, in the heat of the summer, the med/fast action rod is more comfortable to cast. Kinda like a relaxed pace when walking, versus a moderatly fast jog. In 95 deg heat, it makes a difference. Also, there usually isn't much wind to conquer in July.

John,

My suggestion is find a particular action that you can cast well and stick with it. Really fast action rods don't tend to throw heavy streamers very well. They may be great for deerhair poppers, but a whole different story for size 4 buggers with bead heads & lots of lead underwraps!

If you like the Crosswater rods, then stick with them. Use a 6 or 7 wt for streamers, then use an 8wt for big deerhair stuff. When will you need a fast action rod? When you hit the salt for bonefish and/or permit where you will need to make 60-90 foot casts, into the wind. That's a whole different world than smallmouth fishing.

One thing I love to do is hit all the fly fishing shows & fly shops I can, and cast as many rods as I can. The show in Chicago is a great place to get a feel for different rods. My buddy, Kevin, and I go every year & have a blast. He attends the fly tying seminars while I spend most of the afternoon in the casting area trying one rod after another. Look here: http://www.greatwatersflyfishingexpo.com/

We will be at my in-laws over in Indy for Thankgiving again this year, and one of my stops on Friday will be FlyMasters of Indianapolis. As long as it isn't snowing & blowing I'll be out in their parking lot with some rods. It is a fabulous shop & I usually stock up on tying supplies while I'm there because they have everything one could ever need.

Brian

John,Greg,Brian,

You guys are all good flyfishermen.Why haven't you done fishing reports ?It'd be nice if I wasn't the only flyguy who did.How about resolving to do some next year?

That goes for all you other bassbuggers as well.

Ron

Thanks for your reports. As a new fly guy, they served as an inspiration for me all season. I will try to post as well.

You won't know if you are ready for faster action rods until you cast or better yet fish with faster action rods. The rods that you have will work fine for fishing around here, but it could be that you could pick up a faster action rod and quickly determine that you really like casting and fishing with faster action rods. You could just as easily test cast some different medium fast rods and find a rod that just clicks with your casting stroke. The only way to find out is to go out and cast some different rods.

Beware that if you do go out and test cast rods, you will find something that you like better than what you have and you will want to add a rod like that to your quiver. I say that because it has happened to me.

Ronk,

You're right, we should be posting more reports. I did a few this summer, usually after an outing, but they were in the Central Illinois forum, not BassBuggers. Of course, it would help if I got out more, too! With all the rain this spring & summer, high water was the norm around here & I just didn't want to fight it. I don't own a watercraft yet, so anything deeper than mid-thigh makes me nervous. (I've had a couple close calls)

I'll try to post more to the BassBugger forum next year, as I fly fish exclusively. I've got a nice St. Croix spinning rod & Shimano reel that have sat in the back of the closet & not been used for over 11 years! (I'll entertain offers if anyone is interrested in it!)

Brian