Cortland Masterbraid

Jim Bubis

Guest Frank

I've never used Cortland Masterbraid. There are so many new lines out there it's hard to keep up. My Dad used to use Spider Stealth but I talked him into trying McCoy Mean Green and he liked it. I have tried P-line because I was given a free spool. It seemed to be good line but I did'nt use it very long.

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody tried the new Cortland Masterbraid yet? How does it compare with Spiderwire Stealth?

I havn't tried it yet. But, Ken Darga, professional guide and Fishing Guru at Gatt Guns, recommends it highly because he said it is perfectly round and causes less reel issues especially on bait casters.

• 4 months later...

Superbraids---

I've started using the Spiderstealth, before it came out on the store shelves.

I've found it better that other superbraids.

It's rounder shape is better than the flat braids.

The coating wears off rapidly---I probably make more casts in one day than most do in a season---so the line wears faster and takes a lot more abuse.

In some areas, the coating bunches up and nodules form---resulting in backlashes.

=======

I’ve found the best on today’s market is Cortlands Masterbraid

A true round braid, unlike others that are flat.

Masterbraid is a fused braid---unlike other superbraids that are not fused.

The color is impregnated into each strand of the multi-strand braid.

Other superbraids on the market are coated. The coating wears off, and the white base material appears.

The Cortland Masterbraid line is available in Bronzeback Brown---ideally suited for our streams and rivers---thusly, BRONZEBACK BROWN. (My pic for like color).

The 10lb line works exceptionally well on the small dia spools---such as the 1000 series ( Light) Shimanos reels and as well as the 2000/2500 series (ML) sizes.

20lb Masterbraid serves me very well on the 2000/2500 or ML series reels as well as the low profile casting reels, like Shimano’s Chronarch and Curados, as well as the small size round reels.

To date, I haven’t had any line lockups using 20lb line on baitcasters, when fitted on a light action rod, and using light weight lures.

I was highly surprised and very pleased how this line performed, while fishing in some heavily weeded areas.

The line is superthin and slick, that it literally cuts thru weeds---and better yet, when you have a fish on---allowing it to swim and thrash around, it cuts thru the weeds---like no other superbraid lines I’ve used. Most times bringing the fish to hand, with no weeds on the line---very impressive.

30lb line is more ideally suited for the larger size reels, fishing heavier lures and targeting bigger fish.

My choice is the 50-65 lb line for fishing in heavy cover, for those brutes that like to hide in heavy cover.

This line doesn’t bury into itself, like flat braids or other superbraid lines I’ve used.

Since using the Cortland Masterbraid superline, my backlashes have become very rare.

Sometimes going all morning, or all day, without a backlash.

I attribute this to the line not having a coating.

Some superbraid lines are coated---as the coating wears off, or in some cases builds up in some areas along the line---backlashes increase--- and become very frequent. The coating builds up along the line, causing unevenness, small nodules build up, therefore resulting in back-lashing. (Learned from some close observations I’ve made).

Cortlands masterbraid superbraid line “floats”---making it ideal for the line watchers.

Unlike the green colored lines, which are difficult for some line watcher to see on the waters surface.

When I’m concerned if the fish are seeing the line, below the surface, I use a permanent marker pen, in black, brown or green---dying the lines surface, starting at the lure for 3-4”, then skip color every inch or two. (Haven't tried red yet)---(I keep a permanent marker pen in my fishing vest pocket, as well as several other handy tools).

I was pleasantly surprised how well this camouflages the line in the water, against various backgrounds---weeds, wood, rock or the like---whether in clear, stained or dark waters.

Camouflaging makes it harder for the fish to see---and I have the superbraid all the way down to the lure, vs a mono tippit.

Works great for me.

Hope this helps.