Explanations...?

Kev-mo

I took the afternoon off to release some stress out at the river. Didn't catch too many fish but it was nice long endorphin releasing walk. I was mostly throwing a buzzbait and towards the end of the day I had a fish hit. It was on for a second and then came out of the water. The fish went one way, my favorite buzzbait went another and my line went in yet another direction. When I reeled back up my snap was still closed. It happened quickly but it looked like the buzzbait was still intact when it fell into the water. I looked for the bait but despite the crystal clear water it fell into some weeds never to be seen again.

Any theories on what happened. Like I said it looked like the bait was intact when it fell so if my eyes were telling the truth the wire didn't straighten out dumping the blades and my snap.

I took the afternoon off to release some stress out at the river. Didn't catch too many fish but it was nice long endorphin releasing walk. I was mostly throwing a buzzbait and towards the end of the day I had a fish hit. It was on for a second and then came out of the water. The fish went one way, my favorite buzzbait went another and my line went in yet another direction. When I reeled back up my snap was still closed. It happened quickly but it looked like the buzzbait was still intact when it fell into the water. I looked for the bait but despite the crystal clear water it fell into some weeds never to be seen again.

Any theories on what happened. Like I said it looked like the bait was intact when it fell so if my eyes were telling the truth the wire didn't straighten out dumping the blades and my snap.

Maybe the wire frame broke?

Maybe the wire frame broke?

Maybe, it did look solid when it was flying through the air as I was only about 15 feet away but the eyes were prolly lying. Do you think it's better to tie directly to a buzzbait or spinnerbait as the snap seems to slide around a bit on the wire framing possibly stressing it. I also wonder if that affects hooking ability due to the snap sliding as several fish have gotten unbuttoned even after sharpening the hook and trailer hook.

I might have to put in a complaint to the manufactuer for premature breakage and see if they'll send me another one ;)

Tying directly on is much better with buzz baits or spinner baits unless they are of the older design that has a closed loop to connect to. I've used those type of baits extensively in Canada for pike where a leader is essential. I gave up using the "open" style spinner bait when using a steel leader with a snap because of all the baits that were ruined and the constant fouling when the snap slid up the wire and I was fighting the fish with the snap pulling on the blades.

Titanium wired baits bend and return to shape, but they snap off. Was it a titanium bait?

Kev, if you close off the wire bend with some light wire or braid, problem solved. Pitch the bait over the toughest cover, drag over logs until your heart is content or startled. Otherwise keep your line tight at all times.

IMGP0614.jpg

IMGP0617.jpg

Why do people always confuse a 'snap' with snap and swivel? :huh:

81032.jpg

Kev, I don't tie direct for anything. There's no problem with the snap and that buzzbait once you tie off the r bend. I've caught hundreds of smallies on those buzzbaits.

quote name='Kevin D' post='27249' date='Aug 28 2008, 09:11 AM']

Kev, if you close off the wire bend with some light wire or braid, problem solved. Pitch the bait over the toughest cover, drag over logs until your heart is content or startled. Otherwise keep your line tight at all times.

IMGP0614.jpg

IMGP0617.jpg

Why do people always confuse a 'snap' with snap and swivel? :huh:

81032.jpg

Kev, I don't tie direct for anything. There's no problem with the snap and that buzzbait once you tie off the r bend. I've caught hundreds of smallies on those buzzbaits.

Thanks Brendan I'll have to look in to that or maybe bend the r bend back a bit so it is closed

It's those rookies that confuse a snap with a snap swivel :lol: Kidding...