Mouse Patterns

Mark P

Anybody ever try mouse patterns? I tie the Chris Helms style of hair mouse and can't keep the bass off of it.

What size is the mouse you tie? What weight rod do you use with it?In a larger size a hair mouse looks like it'd be difficult to cast with a 6 wt or lighter rod that is typically used for smallmouth.It's the fly of choice in Alaska for big rainbows.

What size is the mouse you tie? What weight rod do you use with it?In a larger size a hair mouse looks like it'd be difficult to cast with a 6 wt or lighter rod that is typically used for smallmouth.It's the fly of choice in Alaska for big rainbows.

I tie them on a TMC8089 (sometimes on the stainless steel hooks) in size 2 and 4.

You will need an 8 wt to cast them.

I typically fish large flies to minimize the number of dinks.

On a side note: a buddy of mine just got back from Lake of the Woods, Ontario and caught a 5lb Smallie on a Top Raider. The TR is a topwater Muskie bait and is about 7" long. That must have been something to see...

Guest rich mc

they are always a hot spinning gear lure in the slop at shabbona .snagproof white or grey mouse does well. the rat ,the larger size doesnt get hit much. rich

I was thinking that Corey Gale could probably tie up a nice mouse pattern. The last time I saw some of his deer hair patterns, they were excellent! I used to tie a few of them a year and never had much luck with them. Are you tying the full blown pattern with ears, tails and eyes?

There is a modified pattern which is the mouse shape without the ears, whiskers and eyes. It's a teardrop shaped thing. Looks good in natural deer hair. Chugs nice and leaves a good trail of bubbles. I had better success with Peter Sang's floating frog and it was easier to cast. But I found that the small frog patterns that Peter Sang developed twenty years ago caught just as many. And he had two versions, a floating and sinking one, both were fairly easy to tie.

Not that I don't like deer hair patterns but fishing for smallies with an eight weight or nine weight, well, it can be a bit much. Tiemco 8089 hooks are nice to tie on. I've been using a lot of the Mustad hooks lately. I like C52S as they're razor sharp, have a wide gape and the point doesn't deform after bouncing them on rocks, and so on.

Bob Clouser used to tie a silicone mouse and a few guys have used wool to craft the little rodents. But the prettiest ones I've seen were done up in deer hair. They're cute, just a pain to cast on lighter gear. As long as you're catching fish...well then I'd guess that they're your "confidence" fly.

Largemouth tear these things up! I'm usually using my 8 wt. for deer hair flies. I've got an old Sage RPL+ with a RIO Clouser taper line. Can't beat it for casting the big stuff!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b5cf34b3...3D480/ry%3D320/

I tie these on TMC 8089's size 6. Tail is earthworm brown ultra chenille (or vernille) with burned mono eyes & moose hair whiskers. I don't bother with ears.

Brian

Largemouth tear these things up! I'm usually using my 8 wt. for deer hair flies. I've got an old Sage RPL+ with a RIO Clouser taper line. Can't beat it for casting the big stuff!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b5cf34b3...3D480/ry%3D320/

I tie these on TMC 8089's size 6. Tail is earthworm brown ultra chenille (or vernille) with burned mono eyes & moose hair whiskers. I don't bother with ears.

Brian

Brian:

You fish the same setup as I do. 8wt. RPL+ (its very fast) and a Rio Clouser Line. Even with the largest flies, I'm out there 65-70 feet with no problem.

Try using the Ultra-Suede material for the tail. It has great action in the water and when it dries, it doesn't get stiff.

As for the comment about fishing with an 8 wt. being a bit much, how else could you cast oversized/big bushy flies? That is unless you want to use a 5 wt. and fish them at your feet...

Adverse conditions notwithstanding,i.e.hostile winds,the need to cast 80+'etc., I agree with Stuart that an 8wt is typically too much rod for sporty fishing for smallmouth.There are plenty of flies in sizes 1/0-4 other than cumbersome oversize deerhair that appeal to big smallies that can be comfortably cast to 70+' when necessary by a good caster with a 6wt or lighter rod.Why opt then for flies requiring an 8wt unless specifically warranted?

Adverse conditions notwithstanding,i.e.hostile winds,the need to cast 80+'etc., I agree with Stuart that an 8wt is typically too much rod for sporty fishing for smallmouth.There are plenty of flies in sizes 1/0-4 other than cumbersome oversize deerhair that appeal to big smallies that can be comfortably cast to 70+' when necessary by a good caster with a 6wt or lighter rod.Why opt then for flies requiring an 8wt unless specifically warranted?

This topic has been beaten to death. It's been debated and answered ad nauseum on this same forum.

Well, I believe in going prepared, and take two rods on all smallmouth trips. My Sage 6wt. DS2 with a Clouser taper line, and my RPL+ 8wt. with a Clouser taper. The 6 gets used 80% of the time (or more) and the 8wt. gets drug out for high water, largemouth at the local pond, high wind conditions, or when I know I'm going to be chucking big topwater stuff. I suppose if I could only have one rod, it would be a 7wt.

On the subject of mice, how long does it take you guys to tie one? I can pump out deer hair poppers in about 10 minutes, but these darn mice take me 30-40 minutes apiece!