Proper Fish Handling

I found this article and thought I'd share it here to get your thoughts.

http://www.mgfalaska.com/catch-release.html

Money Quote:

"Wet your hands when handling the fish and always support it beneath the abdomen as hanging a large fish by a boga tool can and will tear the fish's internal organs."

All good tips. Especially having a plan before you hook the fish.

My personal release plan is:

Always pinch the hook barbs, I like to do this before I put anything in my tackle boxes.

Wet my hands.

Cradle big fish while removing the hooks or if they are small I will pick them up by the lower lip.

Put them gently back in the water, dropping or tossing a fish from the standing position is a pet peeve of mine.

Now if anyone sees me on the water not following my plan they have my permission to whip me with there rod.

• 8 months later...

Steve is right on. Pinch the barb! A hook with its barb pinched won't tear up the mouth, it won't get stuck in the gullet, and you're not going to lose fish any more easily. To me this is a no-brainer; the longer it takes to get the hook out, the more damage you've done to the fish.

I try to release as many fish as possible without taking them out of the water . Lip them with one hand , tuck the rod under my arm , grab the pliers , pop out the hook and let them go .

I try to release as many fish as possible without taking them out of the water . Lip them with one hand , tuck the rod under my arm , grab the pliers , pop out the hook and let them go .

I've got a similar system I use to avoid handling the fish. I usually release them when they're fifteen or twenty feet away. It keeps me from getting that fishy smell on my hands.

I usually release them when they're fifteen or twenty feet away. It keeps me from getting that fishy smell on my hands.

BWAHAHahaha...That's a mighty effective method Jude. In fact, that way they won't recognize you the next time you're fishing, get scared, and stop biting. However, it not easy and takes a good bit of practice.