National Hunting & Fishing Days Sept. 23-24

Jim J

National Hunting & Fishing Days – Silver Springs State Park, Yorkville, IL

September 23-24, 2006

The annual National Hunting & Fishing Days celebration is scheduled to take place on Saturday/Sunday, September 23-24, at Silver Springs State Park in Yorkville. This is a free, two-day event filled with interesting demonstrations, seminars and outdoor activities for everyone. It’s a great family outing. More information on the activities available can be found on the following website: http://www.huntingandfishingdays.org/

The ISA will be present to spread the word about smallmouth fishing and the great conservation work we do. We will also be running the IDNR’s fishing video machine. You have probably seen these at the sports shows. The participant holds a fishing rod and “fights” a fish while a video of the fish plays. Young and old anglers get a kick out of this.

We need volunteers to man the ISA “booth” and assist with the fishing video machine. Please consider spending a few hours on either day to support the ISA’s efforts to promote fishing and conservation. Bring the kids and let them try their hands at the numerous kid-friendly events. Please contact Craig Holderness via e-mail (PM on the ISA website or at CHolde701@aol.com) or via telephone at (630) 655-1102 to volunteer. Your participation will be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest rich mc

ISA has been asked to do the Kid'sCasting event at the Hunting and Fishing Days . we will need 3-4 people on each day to cover it. This is a fun filled weekend with a little work mixed in. PLEASE POST NOW if you can help. Rich M

• 3 weeks later...
National Hunting & Fishing Days – Silver Springs State Park, Yorkville, IL

September 23-24, 2006

The annual National Hunting & Fishing Days celebration is scheduled to take place on Saturday/Sunday, September 23-24, at Silver Springs State Park in Yorkville. This is a free, two-day event filled with interesting demonstrations, seminars and outdoor activities for everyone. It’s a great family outing. More information on the activities available can be found on the following website: http://www.huntingandfishingdays.org/

The ISA will be present to spread the word about smallmouth fishing and the great conservation work we do. We will also be running the IDNR’s fishing video machine. You have probably seen these at the sports shows. The participant holds a fishing rod and “fights” a fish while a video of the fish plays. Young and old anglers get a kick out of this.

We need volunteers to man the ISA “booth” and assist with the fishing video machine. Please consider spending a few hours on either day to support the ISA’s efforts to promote fishing and conservation. Bring the kids and let them try their hands at the numerous kid-friendly events. Please contact Craig Holderness via e-mail (PM on the ISA website or at CHolde701@aol.com) or via telephone at (630) 655-1102 to volunteer. Your participation will be greatly appreciated.

Rick, do you still ned help Sunday at the National Hunting and Fishing Day event? I would be glad to come down for awhile, half day, or what ever you need. Let me know where and when.

Went to the Hunting and Fishing days website , and did'nt notice ANY mention of the ISA participating ANYWHERE. I find this a little odd!!! I know I'm a bit on the sensitive side but if we are running the kids casting pond , does'nt that give us a plug for the Alliance, SOMEWHERE? If I missed something on their site, Please let me know but Typing our name as a friend or sponser on the site doesn't seem to be asking for much . Kevin

A big "Thank You!" goes out to all the volunteers who helped make the ISA activities at this year's National Hunting & Fishing Days a success. The rainy weather on Saturday was made up for with some great weather on Sunday. The kids had a fantastic time casting for prizes both days rain or shine. The IDNR fishing video machine was up and running on Sunday and the kids got a kick out of that as well. It's always great to see a smile on a kid's face.

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this possible.

Craig H.

Thanks for hosting this event on behalf of the ISA, Craig.

Your hard work from start to finish is the reason we were able to get such an impressive volunteer effort.

Thanks everyone for a wonderful job.

The NHFD folks were very grateful for our presence, so it was great to see that we were able to hit a home run with this.

A few photos from the casting field:

Guest One More Cast
Went to the Hunting and Fishing days website , and did'nt notice ANY mention of the ISA participating ANYWHERE. I find this a little odd!!! I know I'm a bit on the sensitive side but if we are running the kids casting pond , does'nt that give us a plug for the Alliance, SOMEWHERE? If I missed something on their site, Please let me know but Typing our name as a friend or sponser on the site doesn't seem to be asking for much . Kevin

There was an acknowledgement in the program handed out to folks when they parked.

I do feel your pain, Kevin. I was there with TU and we never got a mention in the program. Not picking on the committee that runs this event for fear that I will be named to next year's committee but I was kinda surprised on both counts.

Joseph

itwas a fun filled weekend. craig thought of many little things that most would have forgot. i recieved a fe w "thanks you" from some of the staff. also glad to see a few newer members step up to help. i believe this will be an annual ISA event. thanks to all that assisted . rich

To address the concerns about recognition - I'm afraid that timing is the issue.

In order to be in the program, webpage, and other advertising it's imperative that this be done well ahead of time.

I'm not exactly sure but I think an ISA member made sure the ISA was in the program. Our webmaster who also does the programs was super busy, a link on our webpage can be added in short order. Our vendor chairman printed thank-you's and distributed a folder at the event, I assume the ISA received one. Our programs (2006) will be distributed at upcoming outdoor shows so the ISA will get some extra mileage with the program.

I'm just winging the above response and will make sure that this issue is looked into.

Anyway, thanks again to the ISA and it's members for all that was done at the event. If any ISA officer or member would like to represent the ISA on the NIH&FD's Committee please let me know.

Thanks,

Geoff Kishpaugh

ISA Member

NIH&FD's Committee Member

Forgot to add that I found a rod & reel in the ISA tent behind the flap. It cast fine but I think the pins were messed up as it did'nt retrieve well. I added it to our collection of kids fishing equipment that will need a through going over for next year. If the ISA wants it back rite away just let me know.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thanks for the response on this. I understand about the planning well ahead of time. With a large event, it's really important to plan way ahead.

I did see the program ad which was great. I'm not sure how you handle the website stuff, so if you put all the participants there, we'd be happy to be included. If it's only for sponsors or whatever, I understand.

Jim