DNR Sampling (Rock River Creek Tribs) NEW DATES

It's that time of year again! Karen and the DNR need our help manning their Rock River tributary creek sampling project. If you've ever wondered "what lies beneath", now's your chance to find out. I realize these are weekdays, but it would be a vacation day well spent!

The process: two people lead the charge upstream, spreading the electric seine from bank to bank. Following behind are several netters. They scoop up stunned fish with long handled nets and deposit them in an aerated tub. The tub sits on a small "boat" which also carries the generator. After a predetermined stretch has been completed, the DNR folks ID, weigh, and measure each fish prior to its live release.

It's a lot of work, and a lot of fun. When you cross a decent sized hole, the action can be fast and furious as you try to net hundreds of stunned fish. The DNR people are very knowledgeable, and also have a lot of fun doing their jobs.

Below is the schedule, which is subject to change due to creek levels/weather. Waders are required, preferably neoprene. Breathables may let a slight tingle of juice through if you get too close to the seine. Don't let that stop you. You can just stay back a few feet and net the stragglers. If you're interested (and who wouldn't be!?) please PM me with questions or times that you can commit.

The DNR really counts on us, as we count on them. Thanks.....Jude

NEW DATES POSTED ON 7-26

Rock River Basin Survey - July 2008 Schedule

ELECTRIC SEINE SITES

* Monday - July 28, 2008: 10:00 a.m. PT-01. Kinnikinnick Creek. Elect. seine. Located in Boone County Forest Preserve along Caledonia Road. 815-547-7935. Dan Kane. Gazateer page 18- A3,

* Monday - July 28, 2008: 1:00 p.m. PL-18. Kyte River, Electric seine. Located at golf course on Flagg Road west of Rochelle. Flagg/Rochelle Park District.

* Tuesday - July 29, 2008: 9:00 a.m. PN-03. Leaf River. Elect. seine. Located at White Eagle Camp south of Daisy Road and just east of Adeline. Gazateer page 17 - C6.

* Tuesday - July 29, 2008: 1:00 p.m. PJ-01. Pine Creek, Electric seine. Located in White Pines Forest State Park at first ford.

* Wednesday - July 30, 2008: 9:00 a.m. PHE-01. Buffalo Creek, Elec. Seine. Located north of Sterling at bridge on James Road off of Freeport Road SW of Polo. Gazateer Page 25 - A5.

* Wednesday - July 30, 2008: 1:00 p.m.PZR-03. Three Mile Branch, Elec. Seine. Located just east of Rock Falls at corner of Dixon Ave (Rock Island Road) and Nelson Road. Gazateer Page 25.

First of all, many thanks go to Jude for heading this program up for us the last couple years.

Secondly, these are some of the most intense hands-on conservation activities you will ever be a part of.

Management of your natural resources depends on these findings, and you are being afforded the opportunity to be a part of it.

Remember to bring the camera, you'll wish you had if you don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Jude:

Let Karen know I'm signing on for a second tour of duty. Helped out on this project for a day last year. What a remarkable experience! The IL DNR folks are great to work with, and a treasure trove of information on local flows.

I fished with ISA member Pat M a few days ago, and mentioned I would be volunteering for a day. Pat jumped right in. So we'll ride together and meet up with the IL DNR crew Wednesday 16 July on Keith Creek and Leaf River. And we'll save a few bucks on gas.

All you Northwest members (and, for that matter, those further east and south) - this is an opportunity not to be missed.

Bill Kreznor

I edited the original post with yet some more modifications.

Hi all. Due to the continued flooding of the Rock River I have had to revise the schedule yet again. We will start on the smaller tributaries the week of the 14th, and leave the main stem stations (Rock River) until the end of the survey. Attached is a revised schedule. Thanks, Karen.

Jude, I am interested in helping with the electric seining on Pine Creek, July 18th. Do I just need to show up at the appropriate time and place or do I need to get in contact with somebody?

Jude, I am interested in helping with the electric seining on Pine Creek, July 18th. Do I just need to show up at the appropriate time and place or do I need to get in contact with somebody?

Great! I'll add you to the list. I'll let Karen know to expect you. All you have to do is show up. Thanks!

* Monday - July 14, 2008: 10:00 a.m. Keith Creek. Electric seine. Located at city park on Kishwaukee Street (Route 251) in Rockford, just upstream of the mouth of the creek.

In honor of Bastille Day, I'll make the trek up North on the 14th. I'll coming bearing a gift for Karen, also! ;)

Well, I'm glad I stayed for the afternoon affair. The mornings shocking was fairly disappointing from the DNR's standards. About 30 fish were found, and only one was a 4" smallie that clocked in at almost an ounce! :o Not a real nice piece of water by any means.

I asked Karen how many fish were boated in the afternoon, and she said.... a lot! By looking at her list I'd guess well over one hundred. Four smallies came to net, all near the same size as the first one. Definitely not outing worthy streams.

Like it's been said, if you have the time this is a very interesting process. The people are a lot of fun to work with, too. Get out their and lend a hand if you can. Pack a lunch, extra drinking water and sunscreen!

Both of those streams are fairly urban (huge understatement regarding the a.m. site). I'm surprised you got a smallie out of the first site. I'd bet that the remaining sites, which are much more rural, will have a LOT more action. I remember going through holes last year where three netters couldn't keep up.

How were the flows? I had feeling they'd too high and we'd be playing the rescheduling game like last year. Did Nathan make it?

The question has come up.... now that they have the fish count, what do they do with that info & how is it used to better the creeks? Of course I never bothered to ask that question when the shocking was going on! :rolleyes:

I believe they sample the same stretch every five years. That way they can track the health of the stream by comparing current samples with past samples. Also, if there is a spill or contamination of some sort, they will have a way to quantify the damage.

The PM site got the lunkers installed compliments of the Rock River Water Reclamation District (my employer). We needed an easement from the Park District to install a trunk line through their property. They held our feet to the fire and the restoration on that project was the most elaborate I've had to deal with. Lunker structures, special prairie grasses and wildflower seed, and log jam removal were just some of the requirements. I'm glad to see it's holding some smallies!

Jim and Jude a family emergency kept me from being able to make it yesterday. I would have like to give a call to fill you in on but I didn't have either of your numbers. It is not my nature to be a "no show" and even with the poor numbers I would have liked to experience the process. I hope the rest of the samplings are more productive.

Nathan

Well, I'm glad I stayed for the afternoon affair. The mornings shocking was fairly disappointing from the DNR's standards. About 30 fish were found, and only one was a 4" smallie that clocked in at almost an ounce! :o Not a real nice piece of water by any means.

I asked Karen how many fish were boated in the afternoon, and she said.... a lot! By looking at her list I'd guess well over one hundred. Four smallies came to net, all near the same size as the first one. Definitely not outing worthy streams.

I am a little curious as to what some of the other species were? I would get suckers, chubs , and different minnow varieties.

Bill K. and I lucked out and were able to help out today withthe fish shocking on Stillman and Sugar Creek. It was a last minute deal thanks to Bill having Karen's number. The creeks were small and the first turned out to have some large fish (Carp) and some Smallies, of course most were s forage fish. It was very interesting and I would do it again in a minute.

Here are some photos from today. I hope this turns out as I am not good at this.

2iw7jbc.jpg

qqeuzc.jpg

15guk35.jpg

2rxh2sw.jpg

You did a fantastic job of posting the photos!

Thanks for taking the time to help with this project, Pat and Bill.

That is what conservation and a strong volunteer effort is all about.

Looking forward to hearing about more of these shocking events!

Jude has really gone above and beyond the call of duty in rounding up the troops for this under difficult situations that change daily, and the results are becoming obvious already.

Very cool stuff.

Keep the reports and photos coming!