mean spirited folk

Norm M

I got home from taking the dogs to the vet for their shots about 1015 this morning. The phone rang as I walked in the door, it was someone in need of a favor. He had a program for some kids in conjunction with the US Soil and Water Conservation districts. The kids were being tested on conservation type stuff and part of it was identifing plants, bugs and fish from local waterways. It seems they couldn't get fish for the kids to identify from the source they desired and needed some by 300PM this afternoon.

I was asked to do what I could on short notice and was happy to oblige. I hit a local pond and soon had some bluegills, green sunfish and hybrid sunfish. I didn't go for largemouth because I figured that would be way too easy to identify.

I hit up my local stream to round up some riverine species. Smallmouth were definitely out as it's catch and release only right now and walleye went to the will fish for if time permits category. I took some leeches and some redworms that were left from the sunfish excursion. Of course, smallies liking leeches like they do were mucling out the rockbass for a leech on the bottom. I switched to a leech off the bottom under a float and the rock bass started winning the race to the leech.

I had some rock bass in my 5 gallon bucket and moved to a tributary mouth to try for some suckers with the red worms. I added a small white sucker to the bucket and kept on trying. I was hoping to add a redhorse sucker to the mix figuring that would round out the id contest.

I was approached by a couple young guys maybe 18 or 19 years old. They asked why I had the those kind of fish in my bucket so I explained to them about the kids id contest. We chatted a bit more and I got snagged so I excused my self from the conversation and told them I was going to wade out and try to unsnag my line and try out a little farther.

When I came back to shore not only were the two guys gone but so was my bucket with the fish in it and my leech pail. The dollar amount I lost was minimal what hurt was the loss of the fish for the kids. I had to meet the guy in less than 15 minutes and I didn't have time to get more bait and catch more fish for the kids.

At first I was real mad about it and had unkind thoughts toward the two of them. Not that I have had time to think about I actually feel sorry for someone who has the type of mind that would allow them to commit such an act. It was just flat out mean spirited to deprive others of an educational opportunity and I feel saddened for the souls of those individuals.

On a sidenote I did find the 5 gal bucket in a ditch on the ride home, empty of course. I guess compared to what they did earlier littering is a minor thing for their karma to deal with

Norm,

In the words of a philosopher type I once heard speak, "eventually those type of people will have their dogma run over by their karma!" You may not know where or when, but that always seems to hold true. People who do mean things to others usually get theirs in the end and there is absolutely no doubt, that was a mean spirited thing to do. I appreciate the fact that you made the effort!

Someday you may get the opportunity to run upon them two again. I think it's getting so you can't trust anyone anytime with anything. Was a time when I was a kid when things like this just didn't seem to happen or did they happen and we just never heard about it. I think it is just in the way kids are raised these days. No proper upbringing and no values or teaching right from wrong or respect for others.

Gary,

You know what... I generally concur with you about the way kids are raised these day but I shared this story with my ten year old this morning and asked him what his opinion was, and even he said it was lame and that it showed no respect for the person they did it to! So, I guess it is not the way ALL kids are raised but certainly the way SOME kids are raised as evidenced by what happened here. Your point is well taken, however. I just wanted to point out that even some kids find no humor in what these two knuckleheads did! Disheartening to say the least!

My friends wonder why I like to spend hours on the river alone. Less people to deal with/less problems in your life. It is sad when these people are at the river reminding you of this negative influence. Peace/love/fishing

Norm,

First, let me say that you are to complimented on your thoughtfulness and act of kindness. Most commendable to say the least.

I'd like to share a story and I'll be brief. Exploring deeper into and practicing beliefs of my Native American Ancestry, I have learned many lessons from the Elders and Spiritual leaders and most come back to (1) I can only be responsible for myself (2) Continue to live and conduct myself in a "good way" (3) Good things happen to those who are the givers. As negative as most of this was for you, the upside is you were still able to share a gift with the children and that's what mattered. Good people and good acts never unnoticed.

When I get really upset over something like this, I remember a story a Lakota Spiritual Leader from the Rosebud told me. He said he was at a Pow Wow and recorcing some songs. He walked away left his rather expensive recorder, unattended but on and when he returned it was gone. Things like this are not suposed happen at the gatherings. I said, "Why would anyone do that, weren't you mad or upset?" He looked at me and said, " I guess whoever took it, needed much more that I did."

And I agree that there are some "goofs" out there, but there are alot of good kids too. My 12 year old thought what happened was outright cruel. He met the Norm at this past Blowout and could not understand why anyone would do something that mean to someone who is so nice.

Anyhow, you're a good man and good things will come your way.

When it first happened I must admit that a country song came to mind, I'm not as good as I once was, but once I'm as good as I ever was. I'm glad that I didn't see them and was able to cool down and reflect.

My teenage son and daughter were both very upset, they thought it was a very cruel act and that there was something wrong with the two who did it. My daughter offered to try and find out for me who they were but I told her not to do it.I don't want to know their names,as a confrontation would serve no useful purpose.I don't think that my talking to them would change their basic character.

I'm not sure what thier motives were, they didn't come off as animal rights types.

The financial loss was minimal,the greatest loss in this whole episode as I see it, is the further degradation of thier basic selves and to thier collective soul, karma, spirit or whatever you believe in.

I hope that one day they will find an inner peace and lead a better life.

I have determined that thier actions will not bring me down, I will move on and continue to live my life the way I believe I should.

Thanks to all for your responses.