More sand

Mike C .

Have you had a chance to get out since the water has been dropping , seeing more sand and in places where I hadn't seen it before .

It hasn't dropped enough to see if it cleaned out some of the moss and leaves which would be nice but overall it will prolly be a net loss if too much sand/silt gets deposited below the dam .

No, I haven't Norm.

But you said it yourself- the river will surely die as a result of that sediment.

A sad state of affairs that we need to find an answer to somehow.

Still trying to decipher a document on the sand study.

http://www.sws.uiuc.edu/pubdoc/CR/ISWSCR2004-04.pdf

Hey Norm-

Are you familiar with the Fishing College the KDJ and NIAA are sponsoring?

They called me to do a conservation presentation.

Mine will be a slide/video show on the history of the river and some other stuff.

Will post details later.

Been meaning to get out to the stateline bridge again.

Would like to observe how much worse it has gotten there.

Haven't been to that location in probably 5 years, and it was getting really bad then.

Mike ,

I read a blurb about it in the KDJ . As per usual the website for it is a blank and the email addy in the article didn't work , same ole , same ole .

So far none of the local bait shops I know of are involved , Stacy at the K3 State Park didn't know about it either .

I heard a rumor that Ed and Matt Mullady are doing a fishing seminar but I don't know how relations are with them and the NIAA . I guess I'll have to give Bill a call .

Outside of that blurb , no promotion whatsoever anywhere .

I haven't been to State Line in a while , surprised that there were no reports of the high water further damaging it . Amazing how looking to Indiana it's a straight ditch and you see natural bends and such as soon as you turn around and look into Illinois .

Good luck with the presentation , I know you'll do a great job .

Amazing how looking to Indiana it's a straight ditch and you see natural bends and such as soon as you turn around and look into Illinois .

You bet.

Here is the view looking east from the bridge:

To see the stark difference, the following "fly-over" shows it best at the end of the video:

GIS Visualization of traveling along the Kankakee River up river into Indiana.

View Here

Mike

If you got the KDJ sunday edition look on the back of thier TV guide section . Full page add looking for exhibitors for the Fishing College .

River is freezing up , might be able to get a nice picture or three , mebbe a little video .

Can't present a lure thogh , too much ice flowing .

• 3 weeks later...