Smallie Rivers

Jack T

Aricle in August 2007 Field & Stream refers to a list of the best smallie rivers in the countyry, including maps, tips, guides, go to:-

fieldandstream.com/smallmouths

Thanks for posting that, Jack T. The sport is healthy and coming on.

I was relieved to see our Illinois rivers are safely below the radar.

Many of the rivers in the east are prospering as a result of cleanups brought on by the EPA. It aint all sunshine and roses, however. Lately the Snake in Oregon has been showing up as a blue ribbon SM Bass fishery. Sadly I remember when it was heralded as a blue ribbon trout river. The clear cutting of the surrounding watershed took its toll raising the water temp to where it is today. In less than 50 years the river "eutrophied" more that it did in the in the previous 5000. Is there a lesson there?

I see two possible conclusions:

1. Carpe diem! Fish it now. Enjoy the SM fishing while it lasts. It will be a carp river before you know it.

2. Stop da music! Do something to halt the process before it is too late for the other cold water rivers in the US.

Any others?

Guest One More Cast
The clear cutting of the surrounding watershed took its toll raising the water temp to where it is today.

Not quite sure those issues go hand-in-hand.

Joseph

Not quite sure those issues go hand-in-hand.

Joseph

Well yes there is a link between timber cutting and riverine temperatures.

Siltation = less water depth = less insulation from solar radiation = higher water temperatures.

Embedded substrates (silt packed around rocks) = less subsurface flow = higher water temperatures.

Less canopy = more direct radiation= higher temperatures.

That said, temperature isn't necessarily the major limiting factor for smallmouth bass in trout streams. In many places, temperatures cycle wildly on a daily basis. Depending on the time of day and year, fish can find just about any temperature they want to find. There are plenty of rivers in the west that currently only support salmonids that would readily support smallmouth bass in some reaches. The only thing that's saving those trout populations is the lack of an idiot to put smallmouth bass in them.

Other rivers that you would never think of as bass habitat...are. The Merced River flowing out of Yosemite is incredibly clear and cold and yet is full of smallmouth bass just outside the park.

Guest One More Cast

Should have phrased my statement "Not sure those issues always or necessarily go hand-in-hand". At times, I'm an idiot.

Your fifth paragraph makes more sense to me: well put.

Joseph

Tim

Try this! Ohio has issued mining permits and a levee construction for 99 acres to a large foreign owned. It is adjacent to some of the best SM spawn waters on my home water. It will create a bottlenck it a large floodplain that is frequently flooded in high water conditions.

I'm working with other groups and organizations seek and environmental impact study and a detailed hydrologial impact study of the area. The mine and the levee are a serious threat to watershed, waterway, eco-tourism and personal property values and qualities.

State officals are ignoring all objections including residenceS of a neaby village that will be affected by hydrological changes from a large levee in the floodplain. We are preparing to move it up to the federal attention of FEMA, Army Corps and others.

I suspect the gravel mining with occur in some degree in the adjacent land. The levee and associated hydrological impacts will be a detrement to the waterway, residents in the flood plain and other properties and businesses associated with it.

Rick