broken rod

Dana Lee

i was fishing the other day... imagine that ;) and i noticed a vibration in my rod. Upon further investigation, i realized that a guide, three from the top had broken off. So instead of cutting my line and saving the guide, i cut it off to minimize time w/o a bait in the water. Low and behold it just came out of the wrap and epoxy or wutever, and i mangled a good guide. i want to fix this rod because it is my "butter stick" !!! Is this fixable?

i was fishing the other day... imagine that ;) and i noticed a vibration in my rod. Upon further investigation, i realized that a guide, three from the top had broken off. So instead of cutting my line and saving the guide, i cut it off to minimize time w/o a bait in the water. Low and behold it just came out of the wrap and epoxy or wutever, and i mangled a good guide. i want to fix this rod because it is my "butter stick" !!! Is this fixable?

Yes, it is fixable.

Do you have the original guide, or did you mangle it when you cut it off? Either way it can be fixed by reattaching the original or by installing another one. Till the cold season, when I do a lot of maintence work, you might be able to use the rod without that guide. The down side is part real and part esthetic since the third from the top is not life threatening. A lot of folks live satisfying productive lives even though they do not have that "third from the top" guide.

Do you want to fix it yourself, or do you need help?

i threw the guide away when i got home, it was beyond repair. is there somewhere you could buy a kit or something. actually funny you asked. i was just going to use some super glue or something. would that be reasonable? I understand its not needed, ive had no problem with it as i've got some piggies as of late, but it does seem to have that different "touch" to it.

i threw the guide away when i got home, it was beyond repair. is there somewhere you could buy a kit or something. actually funny you asked. i was just going to use some super glue or something. would that be reasonable? I understand its not needed, ive had no problem with it as i've got some piggies as of late, but it does seem to have that different "touch" to it.

If Koren's is outside of your orbit, let the postman do the walking. You can but a guide and some thread of the right color from http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/Content.aspx?src=home.htm . They should have something close to the one you lost. It is too late, but keeping the old one would probably have helped in finding the right size. Next time...

there are a lot of web sites that have instructions on how to wrap on guides. Let us know if you need help. Once that is done apply clear laquer or nail polish to the wrapings, allow to dry, and coat the wrapings with 2 part epoxy. This restores the rod to full function though it may not look brand new. If that is important, there are pros who will gladly take your money.

Corens rod & reel (773/631-5202)

That's a great shop. They'll sell you the parts or repair it for you. Either way, make sure you do it right the first time, no sense paying twice.

-j

thanks for the help fellas. I'm still torn on what to do, because i know i cant do it myself without superglue or duct tape! :P Maybe i'll take it back to Gander and exchange it, it has always worked in the past.