Tim Holschlag

Mark K

Yeah it is a shock.   I talked to him a couple times at shows.  He was nice. 

I bought this book when it came out in about 1990. There is a few pages dedicated to the Minnesota Smallmouth alliance and conservation.  Remember thinking, yeah that's a great idea. 

Stream Smallmouth Fishing: Holschlag, Tim: 9780811723848: Amazon.com: Books

I noted he moved to Newark, Michigan in 2020 on the Menominee River,  I'm sure to be near the mighty Menominee smallmouth.  I fished with Tim's partner, Dan Johnson on the Mississippi RIver above Minneapolis in 2016, who put us on some tremendous smallmouth, but unfortunately had never met Tim, but read many of his books and articles on Smallmouth and greatly admired his knowledge about smallmouth and ability to put it into words.  He even knew a lot about the great  Illinois smallmouth streams including DuPage, Fox and Kishwaukee.  .  

I was a member of DRIFT a few years back and he was one of the guest speakers. His presentation proved to be the most valuble (to me) of all the speakers. His methods and fly selection really helped to change my game on Hickory Creek and continues to.  

A neat article from Jeff Lampe of Peoria Star Journal about fishing Illinois smallmouth  streams with Tim Holschlag:

https://www.carbondaletimes.com/x1714407476

Here it an article about Tim using the "float and fly" technique on Sugar Creek, with some helpful tips:

https://driftwoodoutdoors.com/articles/2020/08/smallmouth-bass-guru-touts-sugar-creek-as-top-fishing-destination/

• 4 weeks later...

I was fortunate enough to hear him speak a couple of times at an Indianapolis Fly Fishing show.  Though I only spoke to him once, he seemed like a fine fellow and his presentations were always informative.  I own one of his books and it's definitely worth a read.  Also,  I know a couple of our central ISA members fished with him on at least one occasion in Minnesota and they really enjoyed themselves.