Wadable Kankakee river spots

Ian Anderson

At these water levels and current flow the whole thing is pretty wadeable except for the dam areas and a few deep holes/areas which are fairly obvious.

Just google the state park and look on the PDF map on the DNR site. Plenty of spots to access. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had high hopes for catching some Smallies on Kankakee River, from the shore, but I fished for 4 hours straight on a week day in the first part of June in 2019 and caught zero fish. I guess I have a lot to learn about fishing a river. The Kankakee River kicked my butt.  I don't normally fish rivers. I fish small creeks and ponds from the shore. I don't know if I will ever go back to the Kankakee River State Park to fish. It is a beautiful park, but I did not have fun fishing. Also note I tried to fish the river in the same spot at same time of year in 2018 and also caught zero after 6 hours of solid fishing. Skunked two years straight. Very hard to take. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't get discouraged, half the fun is searching for and finding the good spots.  The Kank can be difficult (we've all been skunked there) and Smallmouth can be finicky but once you find them it is very rewarding, especially the hard charging Kankakee smallmouth.