Reel Problem

Paul Trybul

Over the years I've ran into a laundry list of different problems with my fishing reels. This year I found a new one. I've got an Abu Garcia reel and when I'm reeling in a fish the handle comes loose and folds in. The screw on the side that allows you to switch the handle from the left or right side just becomes loose all on its own. I was wondering if anyone has ever ran into this problem and if so, was there an easy fix for it?

Over the years I've ran into a laundry list of different problems with my fishing reels. This year I found a new one. I've got an Abu Garcia reel and when I'm reeling in a fish the handle comes loose and folds in. The screw on the side that allows you to switch the handle from the left or right side just becomes loose all on its own. I was wondering if anyone has ever ran into this problem and if so, was there an easy fix for it?

i have put a little bult tite on the screw it seams to work or plummers pipe tape good luck

My man, I like the white teflon pipe tape idea better than my idea of LocTite.

They make a real mild Loctite product, they come in red (do not use!!), blue (less adhesive but acceptable),

and then there's yellow (the mildest formula) that will work. They show the color and locking ability on

the pkgs and should be under $5.

Good luck, I struggle w/ the same problem on one reel I don't use as much.

Guest Mark P

Use some teflon tape on the threads.

You can also consider that if you don't want to remove/fold in the handle; super glue it...

Loctite® Thread Sealant "BLUE".

This adhesive will allow removal of the threaded fitting.

1/2 drop will suffice---

placed on the leading edge of the threads.

Works for me.

NOTE---Superglue, or the like, may result in permanent adhesion, and may result in permanent damage to the threaded fitting(s), during removal.

• 1 month later...

Check the screw thread spindle on theoppsite side from the handle. Many times there is a small rubber compression rubber washer (o-ring) that should be on the thread shaft.

Without it the tend to loosen. You might find a substitute at the hardware store or a Radio Control hobby shop.

Rick