Polarized bifocals

Tim Negronida

I received a needed Father’s Day gift, a pair of bifocal polarized sunglasses.

My eyes have been slooooowly been get worse, so I finely had to picked up a pair of readers over the winter. I must have mentioned it to my wife that threading and tying a knot was getting trickier and trickier with each outing. She hopped on line and picked me up a pair of Costa C- Mates. I have never dealt with bifocals before, but I know once I get use to them they will be a big help.

http://www.costadelmar.com/store/category.aspx?categoryId=12

Nice. I will be eager to hear your assessment - I use reading glasses at work - and find knot tying a challenge, too! It might help if I can tie knots better, I guess. Looks like you had a good Fathers Day!

Guest rich mc

i heard that some eye glass shops have stick on lenses you can place on your sunglasses.then they are just like bi foicals. i havent check on it yet, but will report.

i heard that some eye glass shops have stick on lenses you can place on your sunglasses.then they are just like bi foicals. i havent check on it yet, but will report.

If they work that's a great idea.

I've been wearing polarized bifocals for about 5 years. I wear the progressive bifocal type - the lens changes gradually from distance seeing to reading as your eye moves downward on the lens, rather than the abrupt type Ben Franklin invented.

Up until 3 months ago, I wore a large, relatively flat aviator type lens. A large lens is nice on the water because it reduces the amount of light and glare coming in from the side.

Well, about 3 months ago I needed new specs so I upgraded my old polarized bifocals with a more stylish looking wrap-around type. Big mistake. The combination of the progressive bifocal on a curved lens makes for some interesting distortion. When I wear these glasses, I feel like I'm 5'6" instead of 6'2". Wading has become a real adventure. Is that rock on the stream bottom 12" deep or 18"? Where should I place my foot?

So I'm back to wearing the old flat-lens polarized bifocal, especially in rocky streams. I'll use the newer curved ones for driving or boat fishing. B)

Bill K

I've had the same problem for a few years now. I found a pair of flip up reading glasses that attach to my sunglasses. Not the most stylish option I'll grant you, but quite a bit less expensive than the Costa Del Mar option.

5xyt275.jpg

Down mode

4vhiq1w.jpg

Flipped up

Scott, I also use that style and I really like them. I prefer clipping them to the brim of my hat when not in use that way I dont have the extra weight on my sunglasses. Good product but a real bear to find if you happen to drop them in the river. :)

A good alternative to polarized progressive bifocals, which can get pricey, are Cocoons fit over type sunglasses. Although they are not the best looking sunglasses, they work very well. They fit over your standard bifocal glasses and provide better sun blocking on the sides and top than standard wire type prescription frames. At forty dollars, you can buy a pair with dark lenses and a pair with amber lenses for low light conditions.

One More Cast in Countryside sells Cocoons.

Rich I've been using them for the last couple years. A freind gave them to me, he got them at a dollar store or somewhere like that.you can get them online.

Russ d