McDowell Dam DuPage River

Hi everyone, I got out this weekend and cleaned up the fishing area below the dam and hung a new ISA sign. However, above the dam it was nasty! Scum and backed up debris was blocking the waterway. Also because this dam is in place, it is silt city! I truly hope this dam is taken out! (The larger one, not the small one up stream.) I'm sure the Kayak people look forward to it's removal as well!

I will also need some new signs to post. How do I get more? or who do I talk to? I haven't had a lot of time to do conservation work but I plan to do a lot more this summer.

Jim

Remember- white reporting signs need to be placed below the yellow signs.

I'm going to schedule something official to burn these up- very soon.

Please stay posted.

Hi Mike, the white sign was there but no yellow sign...so there are both...the yellow is above the white...there's some weeds surrounding the white one...I plan on going back to do some pruining.

But both are there. I can pick some signs up this week...I'll pm you with my number.

Jim

A couple of places I've been lately have had the yellow, but not the white signs. I'd like to have some with me. In one case the yellow sign was there, but the sticker about special regs during spawning was missing. Do we have some extra of those also?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd do some clean-up work on the Dupe so I got out early this morning. I walked the river...the area looked pretty clean... so I thought . I've been taking care of this area lately. Then I came across a 3 foot square area; 3 hours later...I managed to scoop out over 80 lbs of broken glass! Tricky and a little rough on the back.

It started to get hot so I had to call it quits. If anyone is in the area I can use some help. I managed to collect a lot of the debris but I know there's more. Also, I didn't lug it out yet. There's no easy way to do this. My bags are full and started to rip...I filled up 2 bags and scooped the rest of the debris onto the bank which needs to be scooped up.

I have a big tupperware bin I can use to scoop it all into. I can then push it and wade back to to an area for the forest preserve to pick it up.

I think I'll get out there again in the a.m. tomorrow before it gets hot. I think this spot will be a nice hole once it's cleaned up...it's in the shade and threre's rain runoff that trickles into the hole which keeps the water cooler.

I had no idea this small project would turn into something more.

Jim