Pike leaders

aloomens

I've got a leader designed for Pike and other toothy critters that has a wire tippet section. What type of knot do I use to tie on a fly? I've never used this type of leader before. Also, how do you change to a different fly? Do you use a knot that you can untie (seems this would eventually weaken the wire), or do you cut off and retie? Do I need to carry wire cutters?

I use a "Figure 8" knot.

Tie the knot with a short lead, make a small "figure 8", close to the lure/tie-point.

Leave a short tag end---drag up snug.

A serrated sizzer action tool will suffice to cut the line.

Retying: cut-off close and retie.

Come back.

There are stranded wire leaders where you use the Haywire knot.

There are tyable materials like Tyger Wire where you use a reduced version of the Uni Knot.

Untying and retying does not sound like a real answer. But it depends.

Come back and tell us what product you are talking about.

It is a Roman Moser, Pike Sinking and Trace leader.

Here is the description from their web site:

"Slow sinking leader for Pike and all fish with sharp teeth - knottable steel-Kevlar-Trace - high breaking strength. Steel-Kevlar-Braid, can be stretched with rubber patch. Pike Fly should be attached with Eight Turn Knot."

They must be referring to a Figure Eight knot.

Come back and tell us what product you are talking about.

It is a Roman Moser, Pike Sinking and Trace leader.

Here is the description from their web site:

"Slow sinking leader for Pike and all fish with sharp teeth - knottable steel-Kevlar-Trace - high breaking strength. Steel-Kevlar-Braid, can be stretched with rubber patch. Pike Fly should be attached with Eight Turn Knot."

They must be referring to a Figure Eight knot.

Thanks for coming back. I vote for figure eight also. The "eight turn knot" is a rare term. The only hit on Google was the site for this leader. Since Germans are involved, I figure the "Eight Turn" is a literal translation of their words for the Figure Eight from ice skating.

Al,

My setup for a Pike fly fishing leader is Micro Surflon tyable wire leader material with a Berkley cross lock snap tied to the business end of the leader material. Use the smallest snap that you can get away with based upon the size of pike that are in the waters that you are fishing. The snap makes is easy to change flies and doesn't add much to the weight or bulk that you will be casting. The snap will gather weeds, though.

Guest One More Cast
Al,

My setup for a Pike fly fishing leader is Micro Surflon tyable wire leader material with a Berkley cross lock snap tied to the business end of the leader material. Use the smallest snap that you can get away with based upon the size of pike that are in the waters that you are fishing. The snap makes is easy to change flies and doesn't add much to the weight or bulk that you will be casting. The snap will gather weeds, though.

If you're going to go the snap swivel route, the Sampo snap swivels are vastly surperior and well worth the extra money.

I am aware that this response may "out" me for my knowlege of the ways of the "Dark Side" but even we fly anglers need some hardware now and then. :lol:

Joseph