C & C Orvis vs Powell

ronk

Having recently gotten an Orvis Helios2 9wt for my next permit trip I decided, the wind being negligible, to compare it today for distance casting against my 25 yr old Powell LGA 8wt. Both rods casted one of Jonn Gs big blockhead poppers using Airflos's 40+ flyline. I stood a cupl' above the water of the pond I chose for the test. While both rods were capable of 90+' casts the Orvis did so with less effort and more consistency. Both rods consistently managed 85-87'.Had the rods been identical line weights the results would have been a virtual wash.With an easier casting fly or an empty leader both rods can cast well into the backing of a 90' flyline.The Orvis was stiffer the Powell more limber and lively.While it was a fast action in its day the old P felt more like one of today's moderate action rods. I've always believed that before the family owned company "went south" in the late 90s Powell made the world's best flyrods. This test confirmed that for me today.

Ron, I feel the same way about my early 90's Sage 7wt RPL & 6wt RPL+. Some newer rods are responsive, fast effective casting tools but I still prefer to fish with something a little slower. A sign of age & resistance to change? Maybe, just don't get me started on the glass rods from the 60's, slow full flexing & fun.

I fished my 8.5' Fenwick Feralite a couple of years ago on the Menominee. While it was fun, I did find my casting stroke was too fast for the slow action and it was hard for me to adjust.

I also have an Epic 686, and while its a bit better suited to my casting style, I still find its easier to cast my Sage One.

Do you two have trouble adjusting to the fast action rods of today?

Faster is better in wind & for distance. Fight is fun on full flexing rods graphite or glass. You adjust your cast to the rod but the big difference is glass works better when you slow down & let the rod do the work. There is a place & use for both. I don't think your Epic or Fenwick come close to the Sage one but they both perform well for close in fishing.