Read the Signs

Guest Mark P

Guest Mark P

I work with a guy who caught a 17" (really fat) Smallie at the Algonquin spillway.

He came in all excited to show me the pictures of it on the cutting board in his kitchen. I gave him a severe tongue lashing...

Mark

That was against the law.

Every smallmouth in Illinois caught on a river/stream or creek, with the exception of the Miss has to be released regardless of size between April 1st and June 15th.

Courtesy of the ISA.

Mark, Reach across the cutting board and slap that guy for me!

Funny i was at Gander in Rockford yesterday picking up some brighter lures for the muddy Kish. Figured since i was there i would pick up my wisconsin liscense.

While standing in line for the liscense i said quite loudly"i wish Illinois would raise their liscense fee's and hire more CPO's!"

Funny part is everybody standing behind me agreed!

So why don't they?

If they doubled the price of an Illinois fishing liscense to 26 dollars with the hopes of getting a few more CPO's i would gladly pay.

I work with a guy who caught a 17" (really fat) Smallie at the Algonquin spillway.

He came in all excited to show me the pictures of it on the cutting board in his kitchen. I gave him a severe tongue lashing...

Mark

Just read the Algonquin Spillway part,don't worry about slapping the guy he's probably already half dead,he just dosen't know it yet!

Nasty! Why would you eat fish from the Fox,especially that area!

Kevin,

I would not be too quick to volunteer more $$$$ for anything in this state with the current folks in charge. They will gladly take your extra $$$ on the promise of hiring more DNR personnel etc. but the $$$$ will just end up in the general revenue fund.

Hate to be so pessimistic, but I'm involved in the system, and the stories of waste and patronage corruption would make your head spin. They are so broke that no account, no matter what the $$$ were earmarked for is safe from their predatory lusts.

Perhaps with a new administration in a few years we can make some headway.

Mike D

Mike D nailed it right there.

Last year while prowling the K3 River State Park on a very hot and humid day, I was stunned to find nothing stocked in ANY of the soda machines and no working water fountain in sight.

A couple of weeks ago the soda machines were still dry, though I did manage to find a working fountain for a change.

The place was mobbed with visitors.

How can there be nobody attending to these things?

A despicable state of affairs our natural resources (and State Parks) are in, with only a hope for better things to come.

Two years ago I was camped out Kankakee State park, west one, four times within the year, one faucet by the dump station was leaking water and sprayed every where when you turned it on, each time I reported it to camp host, I was eventually informed that due to cut backs one supervisor oversaw three parks, two had been laid off consquently the work force also cut back, final answer I received was the parts were on order, not aware if it ever got fixed and as far as extra funds for DNR cast your mind back to 1978 when the lottery started up and it was going to benefit education, that all went into the genaral fund for every politician to take a bite of and Springfield is still cry over funds for education.

Unfortunately the financial situation of this state will most like get worse before it gets better. Attended a meeting Friday about Blago's proposed Gross Receipts Tax. Here are some lowlights and action to take if you are so inclined.

Over the last four years revenues have increased 4 billion $$$$, but instead of controlling spending and trying to balance the budget as promised, every penny has been spent. This year revenues are going to be up another 1.2 billion $$. So what's the Gov proposing? A budget with spending increases of 3.1 billion, so the deficit increases by another 2 bil.

As for the GRT tax. It will raise the price of everything across the board and both hurt and drive businesses out of Illinois, further reducing our tax base. It will not apply evenly to all businesses. The word that legislators are getting is that companies close to state lines may move, and that companies will look for vendors outside of Illinois to avoid the tax. The stated rate of 1.9 % in actuality will be 2.5 times higher or 4.75 %. This is based on the experiences of other states that have tried this type of tax, and who are now abolishing them. Michigan tried it and is getting rid of it and so is Washington state.

Illinois is already considered a non friendly state to do business in, so taxes like this plus Blago's diatribe against the business community exacerbate the situation.

This bill is DOA in the House but still alive in the Senate. So........call your state Senator and ask if they are for or against the GRT tax. If against thank them, if for, ask them to reconsider and oppose it. If they say that they are against this bill in It's

Current Form tell them that your are against any tax increases, and in favor of reduced spending and a balanced budget before any new taxes are levied. Be polite!!

If the GRT fails and it most likely will, they are going to propose a 3 % payroll tax in its place. It never ends.

I'll keep you posted on the budget debates.

Mike D

Kevin,

I would not be too quick to volunteer more $$$$ for anything in this state with the current folks in charge. They will gladly take your extra $$$ on the promise of hiring more DNR personnel etc. but the $$$$ will just end up in the general revenue fund.

Hate to be so pessimistic, but I'm involved in the system, and the stories of waste and patronage corruption would make your head spin. They are so broke that no account, no matter what the $$$ were earmarked for is safe from their predatory lusts.

Perhaps with a new administration in a few years we can make some headway.

Mike D

Then voting them out is what needs to be done! Fishermen shouldn't have to stand by and watch their fisheries get bombed by pouchers as Mike Clifford stated about the activity's taking place on the K2 with pouchers.

If i don't do my job im fired,case closed. Why shouldn't it be the same way for these people when something so valuable and delicate is at stake.

I understand where your coming from, but if people don't do something about it,it will always be the same and nothing will ever be right.

Unfortunately the financial situation of this state will most like get worse before it gets better. Attended a meeting Friday about Blago's proposed Gross Receipts Tax. Here are some lowlights and action to take if you are so inclined.

Over the last four years revenues have increased 4 billion $$$$, but instead of controlling spending and trying to balance the budget as promised, every penny has been spent. This year revenues are going to be up another 1.2 billion $$. So what's the Gov proposing? A budget with spending increases of 3.1 billion, so the deficit increases by another 2 bil.

As for the GRT tax. It will raise the price of everything across the board and both hurt and drive businesses out of Illinois, further reducing our tax base. It will not apply evenly to all businesses. The word that legislators are getting is that companies close to state lines may move, and that companies will look for vendors outside of Illinois to avoid the tax. The stated rate of 1.9 % in actuality will be 2.5 times higher or 4.75 %. This is based on the experiences of other states that have tried this type of tax, and who are now abolishing them. Michigan tried it and is getting rid of it and so is Washington state.

Illinois is already considered a non friendly state to do business in, so taxes like this plus Blago's diatribe against the business community exacerbate the situation.

This bill is DOA in the House but still alive in the Senate. So........call your state Senator and ask if they are for or against the GRT tax. If against thank them, if for, ask them to reconsider and oppose it. If they say that they are against this bill in It's

Current Form tell them that your are against any tax increases, and in favor of reduced spending and a balanced budget before any new taxes are levied. Be polite!!

If the GRT fails and it most likely will, they are going to propose a 3 % payroll tax in its place. It never ends.

I'll keep you posted on the budget debates.

Mike D

Just my opinion but Blago is a total idiot! Im going to say something simple and to the point about an idea Blago threw before us years ago. The wonderful toll system he so wonderfully endorsed and spent billions on.

I have driven the tollways for the last 20 years, have sat in deadlock for all 20 years. So Blago comes along and proposes this new system with I-pass, traffic will move along much faster with this new system he sells. UMMMM... BS!!

What it does is moves you quicker into construction zones which is never ending and always will be never ending. The system will never work if there are dead spots on the roadways. Until they design a roadway that never needs repair, we will only keep having deadlock. Hence, why i think I-pass is just another way to rape people out of their money.

Not only did they create more construction zones putting in this fancy new system, they are charging people with out from our state and other states double. How is that right?

I took vacation down to North Carolina last summer, along the entire trip i only hit a toll in West Virginia and that was only one 30 cent toll. 1400 miles and only paid 30 cents. Got back to Illinois and paid 6 dollars in tolls just to get through Chicagoland.

Like i said he's an idiot!

They could have at least built a place to pee at the I- pass booths if you needed to go with all the revenues they take in every year. No they speed you through straight to deadlock to sit for an hour easy everyday!

I traveled down to the Lemont area last week,sat on I-88 for almost an hour and a half near the Naperville road and Route 53 exit construction, i think i saw three different guys standing on the passenger side of their car relieving themselves during my sit. I can't blame anybody for relieving themselves along the roadways in Illinois. I often wonder how the women deal with this situation!

The least they could do is drop a depends in your car window as you go through the I-pass that way your prepared to sit for hours!

Morning Coffee Thats a JOKE!