Removing Sticky on UV Cured Heads?

Mike G

I recently viewed a video where the tyer used rubbing alcohol to remove the sticky residue left on the head of the fly after he cured it with a UV light. He then sealed the head with a coat of Sally Hanson's. It looks like a good way to deal with a "sticky" situation. Is anyone else doing this with Loon or CCG?

Thanks for replies. What I am really trying to do is work around the high priced spreads, CCG and Loon, and the high priced curing lights they specify for their products. So far I have found that Aquaseal UV does the job and the generic light I bought cures it. Both cost about 1/2 of what the brand names cost. But I am left with the sticky problem. Sounds like Sally's is the answer. Does anyone have the experience to tell me if Loon and CCG are as keyed in to UV wavelength as the manufacturers say? For instance, Loon says that you have to have a Loon UV light to cure its product,; and CCG specifies a CCG light. Of course I would like to find one light that works with all products. Thanks.

Great discussion everyone.

A) the haze created by alcohol is not visible when underwater, they all appear clear once underwater.

B) clear nail polish works well on loon, CCg, and my fav, tuffleye.

C) ccg and tuffleye need the appropriate lights, not sure about loon. With the proper lights they cure in 5-10 seconds, the wrong light just takes longer, it feels like forever but it is probably only 20-30-40 seconds.

D) the nail polish will yellow or brown over time. I know tuffleye sells a nail polish like visiting that doesn't, not sure about others.

Let me know if I can offer any other insights

Mike,

for a lesser expensive UV curing glue with no tackiness, try to find the other thread where we talked about this and consider ordering some from the doctor up in Wausau Wisconsin. Also his UV light is exactly the same as CCG but half the price.

I've used Misfit Fly's UV bond tack free with good results, and it's affordable. But it's not thick enough for building big durable heads, filling big gaps, etc. Great for an overall coat on eyes, threads, small candies

http://www.lundsflyshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=38843