Wearing suspenders while wading

pts9889

Anybody wear those self-inflating suspenders while wading? A buddy of mine stepped in a hole on the Kank a couple seasons ago. He hit his head and went under. If he was alone it would have been very bad. Anyways, just wondering what you seasoned veterans thought about this. Thanks for any input. Paul

Guest rich mc

i know several boat anglers that wear them. they are comfortable. only draw back i have heard is they cant be taken on major airlines on fishing trips due to the co2 cartridge.

Anybody wear those self-inflating suspenders while wading? A buddy of mine stepped in a hole on the Kank a couple seasons ago. He hit his head and went under. If he was alone it would have been very bad. Anyways, just wondering what you seasoned veterans thought about this. Thanks for any input. Paul

I have been wearing the automatic/manual self inflatable vest for the last five years while wading. I wade by myself most of the time and with all the rocks and ledges in the rivers I was afraid of hitting my head also. I have fallen a couple of times, but never got the vest wet.

I don't know why the wearing of a personal flotation device (PFD) is not promoted more for safety. I have only seen two other fishermen wear a PFD. I wear the Sospender make and Stearns makes a manual one with multiple pockets for about $125.00.

I test the vest at the beginning of every year and replace the CO2 cylinder. I also carry a Simms wading staff for safety.

Have a couple of wading flyrod buddies that wear the suspenders.

They ONLY have the manual type.

One of the spilled a cold brew on self during a break and had an automatic inflation of his level of embarrassment.

Its been a thought, especially when wading new water or stain water.