Record Smallmouths on a Fly

Mike G

Here's how they stand:

6-pound tippet – 6 pounds, Herbert Ratner, Jr., Lake Erie, Penn., July 9, 2000

8-pound tippet – 5 pounds, 4 oz., Daniel Marini, Barnstable, Mass., April 16, 2001

12-pound tippet – 5 pounds, 8 oz., Herbert Ratner, Jr., Pickwick Dam, Tenn., Oct. 2, 1996

16-pound tippet – 6 pounds, 4 oz., Ms. Pamela, McClelland, Pine Lake Mich., Aug. 12, 1995

20-pound tippet – 6 pounds, 12 oz., John Herrick, Basswood Lake, Minn., Aug. 30, 1997

It looks like a 7 gets you a record in any class. I was surprised that the fly records are about half the 11-15 all tackle record. Let's get going guys; we can make history with a healthy 22-23 incher.

10-pound tippet – 0 pounds, 4 oz., Steve The Peeve, Unstable, IL, Unknown River, Chartreuse Clouser, July 7, 2013

It was there for the taking. Now try to top that!

I don't remember exactly what type of tippet that I was using for the 23 inch fish. It was either 10 or 12 pound tippet RIO saltwater tippet. The fish was full of eggs, so there was no way that I would have kept the fish out of the water any longer than I did.

I really don't care about a line class record. I have the memory of catching the fish and the memory of the trip along with the picture. Releasing a trophy fish full of eggs is way better than killing a fish or stressing it so it could die later on to get my name on list.

I don't remember exactly what type of tippet that I was using for the 23 inch fish. It was either 10 or 12 pound tippet RIO saltwater tippet. The fish was full of eggs, so there was no way that I would have kept the fish out of the water any longer than I did.

I really don't care about a line class record. I have the memory of catching the fish and the memory of the trip along with the picture. Releasing a trophy fish full of eggs is way better than killing a fish or stressing it so it could die later on to get my name on list.

That my friends is called character :)

Thanks for the compliments, but I have you guys fooled. :rolleyes:

If anyone is interested in actually getting a line class record on the books, it involves a process that involves getting the tippet that was used validated, witnesses, a certified scale and a whole bunch of other stuff that would be difficult to do when the fish is caught a twenty or thirty minute wade/walk from a car. I am not interested in having a line class record, but I am also too lazy to go through the process to get the record.

On the day after I caught the big smallie, I ran into a local fly fisherman that told me that he had caught bass larger than the one that I caught.