Redington Form Practice Rod

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, bought one of the Redington Form game rods. I normally just practice casting with my regular rod in the yard, but this is fun to mess around with. Its also great for a 3 year old to throw some line around! Very crummy video, not sure why, but you get the jist. Ryan

View My Video

I'm sure it is just like his daddy does it :D

Kits like that look interesting. "Practice in your back yard without beating up your good gear." But then one can get a real outfit for half the price. Is it in the name? http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-River-Fly-Fishing-Combo/dp/B000X5Z8J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1372339453&sr=1-1&keywords=fly+rod+kit

I don't buy very expensive rods, but I wouldn't fish with a $20 combo kit like that. It's $20 for a reason. Maybe as a backup to the backup of my backup! If I gave a 9' rod to my three year old son, that rod tip would be buried into something real quick! It's only $40, and money isn't worth anything unless you spend it! Ryan

I should clarify that I am not suggesting buying the $20 outfit as much as wondering what is in that Redington that makes it worth $40.

I gotcha mike. Almost all the manufacturers make them now, probably just another money maker, but I read a lot of great reviews on the redington one because it uses actual fly line. It's just more fun than anything, but actually is a good practice aid if you have limited space to cast a lot of line. It's only about 4' long, but loads just like a real rod would. You can double haul the 30' of line in it, and it feels similar to hauling 60' plus on a full size rod due to its soft action.