Fly reel deal

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, if anyone is in the market for a new fly reel, found a good deal on the new Lamson KonicII reel at fishwest.com. Its standard price for the reel, but you receive a free standard WF line,3wt-12wt, and free backing. Or you can upgrade to more expensive lines at a discounted price. I bought the reel for my 8wt, but got a 9wt line for a future 9wt rod. Wont be using the 9wt rod enough to justify spending big bucks on the sharkskin lines I usually use. Anyways, probably a $40 line for free either way. Just FYI. The Lamson Konic II reel has gotten great reviews everywhere I looked, and I've been looking a while! The original Lamson Konic's can be found at discounted prices now. Ryan

Guest Jim S.

The original Konic spools also fit the new Konic II reel, an added bonus. It's just a bit darker gray, but spools can be bought for about $25 less than the new II spools.

Rob, from what I understand, the main difference between the two besides color, is a smoother, supposedly more durable finish on the new. And I read that the drag is supposed to be a little smoother on the initial pull. The old one gets just as good reviews though, the drag is the same, they just corrected something in the design to make it a little smoother. I have only seen a couple reviews that complained of the durability of the finish on the old one, most reviews said nothing of it. Just from all the reviews I read, the konic has a big following, and a lot of guys use it on more than one of their rods. Ryan