Custom sink tips

Ryan Kral

Hey guys, I just recieved this new line today. It is a 30 ft section of sinking line, with a welded loop on each end. It is designed to cut two different length sink tips out of it, but I did 3. I cut it into a 14ft tip, 10ft, and 6ft. I just used different colored threads in my whipped loops to identify them. The line comes in different grains per foot, this one is a T12. I already have a full sinking line, and I didn't want to pay for a sink tip line, for $25 I got three. Ryan

34oplzc.jpg

Ryan

how do you attach to your fly line? Is it just loop to loop, assuming your fly line has a loop in the end? Also, what will determine when you use what length of sink tip, is it depth control?

thanks

Yep, just loop to loop, both to the floating line, and to the leader. Really depth is the main thing that will determine what tip I use. In the rivers, the strength of the current will also play a role, but mainly just depth. Ryan

Ryan,

Nice job. Making your own tips is much more economical, and time-wise the looped connection is more economical too. I'm wondering if you tested the strength of your handmade whipped loops at all and what you used to seal the knots.

Ryan,

was the sink tip you used uniform and level the entire length?

Tim,

I have tied a loop in my fly line for many many years. I like to use kevlar tying thread on a bobin and I wrap about a 2/8" band on the doubled back line and tie off as you would when wrapping a guide for a clean look. I then coat my wraps with super glue and I have never had one fail, ever.

Tim,

I have tied a loop in my fly line for many many years. I like to use kevlar tying thread on a bobin and I wrap about a 2/8" band on the doubled back line and tie off as you would when wrapping a guide for a clean look. I then coat my wraps with super glue and I have never had one fail, ever.

Rob,

Thanks for sharing your experience with whipped loops. I use them too on all my lines. I was just asking Ryan what he used in this particular case. I use monofilament to cut into line's coating and whip finish two knots. I've coated them with Goop, Aquaseal, and lately with a thin coat of CCG light-cure acrylic. I haven't had any fail on fish, but I do check them every so often and especially before big trips because I have had some of the older ones fail during testing.

On floating lines, you can use use a small hair-straightening iron to "weld" your own loops. I haven't done it, but saw a video. I actually trust my whipped loops more for whatever reason.

Tim, thanks for turning me on to these. I have whipped a couple loops, in both my 6wt and my 8wt, and they have lasted a couple years so far. I just use Danville 3/0 waxed thread, and just a couple coats of Sally Hansen's "Hard as Nails", that's it. I really put quite a bit of pressure on the thread, make sure it bites into the line good.