Hardcore fishing

WILLIAM C.

My nephew wanted to take his dad to a rainbow honey hole that requires a 2 mile walk each way. Even though there is snow all around it had started out as 

a nice day. The pictures will tell you how it ended, not to mention getting skunked. This was near Stagecoach Reservoir Colorado.

3194.thumb.jpeg.1b905532df70769dd33e459dbd80a3dd.jpegGARY.jpg.cb199c618aeb9ecad7dacc17a297d87c.jpg

I was just in that area for a ski trip back in early march.  It's a long walk in but well worth it.  I only fly fished one day, and most of that was spent teaching my buddies to fly fish.  There was an incredible midge hatch and fish were rising everywhere.  I had tied on small griffith's gnats prior to heading out that morning and didn't have to change the rest of the day.  There are some good sized fish there. I had several in the 15-18" range and lost another that would have been in the low 20's. That fish made a big run downstream and was impossible to stop on 7x.  Caught around 20 fish or so. Getting from the road to the water was an adventure, the snow had to be at least 4-6 feet deep in spots and had a 200 lb weight limit.  I could walk on top but a couple of my buddies were sinking waist deep with every step!

TDL10ST.jpg

SNElZCz.jpg

xNPuS8T.jpg

8y2xUrp.jpg

XbR9uyo.jpg

QG4ZjI9.jpg

Everyone catches a skunk from time to time.  My first time there, but I have fished the Bull shoals and Norfolk tailwaters down in Arkansas enough that I was well prepared for the midge hatch.  We ice fished the reservoir the next day and had great success as well.  Waxies on small jigs caught fish about every 5-10 minutes.  Lost a great big brown trout that didn't want to put it's head into the auger hole.  The state park let us use a power auger to drill holes thankfully, the ice was at least 20 inches thick!

image.thumb.png.f7b12a2bce3acecba0debcec08b3661e.png