Calling all ice fishers

mannym

I have been wondering how many ISA members do the ice fishing gig. So i thought to try for a roll call. Maybe tell us where you live, where you fish regularly and where you plan to go this year.

1. I'm in lowell just down from Starved Rock. I fish some small private farm ponds, evergreen lake, Shabbona and sometimes the fox chain. I make many trips up to WI to fish lake mendota fr perch, kishkonong for pike and have been as far north as the turtle flowage for crappie and eyes

I hope to make it to lake poygan and Green Bay in Wi and west okoboji in Iowa. With any luck, i will get my wall mounter bullgill this year.

If anyone ever wants to tag along, i have two complete sets of gear. Vex,auger and shanty, couple dozen rods and tip ups. All you need is your warm clothes.

Eugene, Our hope for ice before the new year is fading away. The ten day shows a few days near 50....

Eric, Early ice finds me fishing alone often since drilling is not too much work. Once the ice hits 12 inches or more, I tend to call buddies with gas augers to go with. The propane models are super, btw.

If I get a good bonus, I may try to find a used power auger this season.

Rich, (cough cough), I like ponds too.......

I was reading that a few Dane county lakes are fishable right now. I may have to sneak out Saturday morning.

John G, We should try that lake that sits between us. It tends to be good every few years. The last two sucked so guessing we may be lucky this year.

A few pics from years past to get the blood pumping:

post-1439-0-04690800-1417713524_thumb.jpg

post-1439-0-05345100-1417713541_thumb.jpg

post-1439-0-72331900-1417713723_thumb.jpg

post-1439-0-50063200-1417713736_thumb.jpg

Nice. I think having a flasher is so much fun. One of these days!

My family and I go to Green Lake, WI in the summers and I thought it was neat that the place we stay is now offering an "Augers and Lagers" ice fishing getaway!

http://www.heidelhouse.com/packages/Details/0a0bdb8c-051b-47d8-8a86-a3e600fc3e89

Marketing genius.

Rich. ...I would Swiss cheese that pond! Expect me there for 12 hours or more,until they throw me out!

Manny. Thinking of a run across the cheddar curtain.

Ice will come to Illinois. .....

Eric, great pic of John! I remember that day! Glad /hope I was helpful with the kids.

post-925-0-08858000-1417750553_thumb.jpg

New to ISA but wanted to pipe in. I love to ice fish if and when the ice gets safe. Doesn't happen every winter around here or not, at least, until the latter part of winter. Last year, obviously, was not a problem. Wore myself out using my hand auger-the ice became so thick! Don't know if I would much care for it if all I had were tip ups but my flasher makes it great fun-and reasonably productive. Anyone who says bass can't be caught through the ice hasn't been doing it very long. But I also enjoy catching bluegill, crappie, and the occassional catfish. We have few walleye downstate except at Dawson Lake. Anyway, I can't wait to get on the ice (eventually) and also to hear the stories of others. Stay safe and don't risk thin ice!!!

Nice. I think having a flasher is so much fun. One of these days!

My family and I go to Green Lake, WI in the summers and I thought it was neat that the place we stay is now offering an "Augers and Lagers" ice fishing getaway!

http://www.heidelhouse.com/packages/Details/0a0bdb8c-051b-47d8-8a86-a3e600fc3e89

Marketing genius.

How are the panfish on that lake?