Pond Near Algonquin

SKollmann

Planning to take my two 5-year old grandsons shore fishing for panfish (or whatever other species bite) somewhere near Algonquin. Not familiar with the area. Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

After introducing kids of all stripes to fishing, I've developed a couple personal rules. The key to fishing with young kids is to find any size fish that are biting so they catch something, and don't keep them out too long. Leave as soon as they indicate disinterest, because that's when they start entertaining themselves by using the rod as a whip, or for anything except what it was intended. Once the hook starts spending time out of the water, thats when they hook themselves. But action and brevity are the keys. Even if they spend 20 minutes catching bluegills the size of Rattle Traps, that's still catching fish to a five year old, and the Mission will be accomplished. Even better if you can outfit them with safety glasses.

Sorry I don't know of a nearby spot for you. You're a good grandfather. Have a great time!