fly rod suggestions

Gregg S

Hey fly guys,

Any suggestions for a 7 or 8 wt fly rod or combo? Think relatively inexpensive as I am a part-time fly guy. Any thoughts on LL Bean lower end rods- I think they are called Streamlight? I bought a 5 wt Cabelas outfit couple years ago. I like it all right, but not so good with poppers or big flys and wind. Thanks.

Gregg

Gregg,

I started and have refer other student to the school of smallie flyrodding to Pfleuger. I have found the following items very functional and economical for the want-to-try bronzeback/bass angler.

Pflueger Rods - Purist - PP 85-67, Full wells handle, #6wt., 8 guides+tip, IM-6

- Purist - PP 85-78, 1/2 well handle, #8wt., 8 guides+tip, IM-6 ******

- Trion - PT-90-67, Full well handle, #6wt., 8 guides+tip, IM-8

Pflueger Reels - Medalist - 1594 RC, Rim Control, #7wt. +backing

- 1594 1/2 RC, Rim Control, #8wt. +backing ******

- Medalist Pro - 1778 Large arbor, #8wt. +backing

******* denote most popular choice for basic bass outfit ******

I started with the Summit rods, the forefather of the Purist.

Check the recent Orvis News for Silver Label or Hy-flote flyines on clearance for $24-$37 each. A quality flyline is IMPORTANT!

Good luck!

Guest One More Cast

I agree with Rick on the importance of a good fly line which is why I would steer you away from a combo. You are almost always better off making your purchases "Ala Carte"....buy a rod seperatly from the reel and line. Combos are notorious for having very cheap lines. You won't pay as much going into it, but you'll find yourself up-grading lines at a later date and you will be paying twice.

The TFO Professional series are very good bang-for-the-buck rods (many ISA members have them, ask around) and most reels will work well, no need for a $300 reel. But invest in a better flyline, I love the Rio Clouser lines, they are not cheap ($60) but they do the job and will do the job for a long time.

Take a look at the TFO Mayfly reels, you get an adjustable gear drag and an extra spool for around $50. Gives you room in your budget for a good floating line and you can pick upa sink-tip line at a later date.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/reels/cartridge.html

Both TFO and St. Croix, another fine maker of entry-level rods will be at the upcoming Great Waters Fly Show in Itasca, cast some rods there and buy what fits your stroke.

BTW, test-casting a rod before you buy it is always a better buying decision. You can read all of the hype in catalogues and websites but until you actually cast the rod......they're just words.

Joseph

Guest One More Cast
Joseph,

I am planning to attend that show on Sunday to attend the writer's thing. I'll try some rods and try to catch up with you.

Gregg

Glad you're attending the show and are willing to give a few rods a test cast.

When you attend the Writer's Workshop say Hello. The Moderator, Kathy Scott has asked me to be on the panel along with John Galligan......I am pretty honored to be in that group. Apparently, I've fooled her into thinking that I have some writing skills.

Joseph

Joseph is right about the fly line. RIO Clouser lines or a quality bass bug line can make a big difference when you are tossing larger, heavy flies. A RIO Clouser would be my choice for a seven or eight weight rod that will be used for smallies.

If you test cast the St. Croix Avid and Temple Fork Professional series rods (both somewhere around medium to medium fast action), you should also test a rod or two with a faster action to see what feels best to you. It's not a bad idea to ask what type line it is being used for test casting. A rod will feel different with different lines, and if the test line is a Scientific Anglers GPX or RIO Grand, you will be test casting a rod with a line that is 1/2 weight heavier than other lines.