One Hit Wonder

Love-hate relationship with EP, Enrico Puglisi fibers. Yea, you can create some neat looking patterns. And yea it will catch fish in a second, but often only one or two before it's so knotted up that even a toothbrush or comb won't be able to untangle it. Hence the name, one hit wonder. I have found that a non slip loop knot is a must for decent action and a heavy hook is needed to get it down if not using lead.

009-3.jpg

Mike, have you ever used "Congo hair" from Fly Tyers Dungeon? Everyone tells me it's the same as EP but a lot less expensive.

The fly above does not require a lot of time to tie so maybe I should consider them disposable, unlike other techniques using EP fibers where you tie in and pull back a piece of material, tie in again and then go to the underside of the hook and do the same, all the length of the shank, that takes forever.

No I have not used Congo but alot striper guys love that stuff, there was a shortage last year for a time period. Let us know how you like it if you try it out. It's fishing season for me, no more vice if i can help it.

Mike, have you ever used "Congo hair" from Fly Tyers Dungeon? Everyone tells me it's the same as EP but a lot less expensive.

The fly above does not require a lot of time to tie so maybe I should consider them disposable, unlike other techniques using EP fibers where you tie in and pull back a piece of material, tie in again and then go to the underside of the hook and do the same, all the length of the shank, that takes forever.

• 3 weeks later...

I use Congo Hair all the time for fresh and saltwater baitfish, shrimp, crab and crayfish patterns. I agree with the second part of the above statement, but also dont have that many tangle issues. First I tie most of my EP-style patterns such that they are trimmed to shape (the second method discussed above)--less flowing material means a fly that tangles less but has a little less motion (tying them sparse and fishing them in current still produces tons of seductive action). I also tie the heads in a v-style or kinky style that largely prevents tail fouling while providing profile/pushing water. If my fly gets tangled, I hold it underwater facing up current and stroke the fibers back.