Float n Fly Video

I ate breakfast with that guy a few times when I was down at the "hollow". His bobber idea is neat, but I doubt it would be much use in our relatively shallow rivers. His bobber idea was "spawned" from the idea that smallies come up from under the fly, suck it in and just "sit" with the fly or slightly rise after the take. Thus, if any tension is taken off the float, the float lays on its side to indicate a strike. I could see how this could really come in handy in deeper water. In my experiences, this rarely happens in my relatively shallow rivers. Usually, smallies take the float straight down.

John

You've gotten to meet with some of the fishing greats. I like his explaining about the two groups of smallmouths deep and shallow. I just started putting a little lead wire above and below on my stick bobbers. You can throw them further and they lay on there side when you're on the bottom. I was trying a new rod and new jigheads yesterday rolled a bunch of fish hooked a few on the tubes. That float and fly makes hook ups easy. Hoping for a little rain and current to get the float n fly going. Right now fish are scattered everything is shallow where I've tried. Going to try to get out this weekend and use the float more.

Phil F

Could you use a centerweight bobber with a centerpin reel?

Seriously, I was surprised how easy it was for me to convert a weighted Wally bobber to a centerweight Coan bobber. You can even do it with the cigar shaped floats. To get the most out of Float and Fly fishing in lakes this kind of float seems to be a must. Even on rivers it may be the little extra needed to detect those rising takes.