Street Smart Filters

Guest Don R

I was kind of thinking the same thing. How quickly would water flow through a clogged sponge? Kind of like flowing water through a brick :) I wouldn't want to be the person that changes those sponges (unless it pays really well!)

I was kind of thinking the same thing. How quickly would water flow through a clogged sponge? Kind of like flowing water through a brick :) I wouldn't want to be the person that changes those sponges (unless it pays really well!)

Something like those sponges might have a use, but probably not on the average street where those kinds of problems will probably crop up. Of course the big problem with storm water is when it is combined with sewage and overwhelms the capacity of the treatment plants to treat the sewage.

In general, there has to be more retention. The subdivision retention laws were a big step forward in this regard. They've actually improved the hydrodrology of some places, dampening out flood peaks.