Jackson Coosa Kayak

Ryan Kral

Hello all, I remember somebody had won the Coosa kayak at the blowout I believe. I am considering purchasing one, looking for any advice from someone that owns or has used one. Thanks, Ryan

In addition to Randy W winning his, Jonn and I and Randy D and Ron P all have them and love them. That's all I can think of for now but I know Jonn knows a few others downstate that have them. Check the Jackson site for all the videos and features.

We have all worked on customizing some aspects whether it's anchor systems, decals (mine looks a little Nascar-ish) or whatever, we can help if you buy one.

Buy another brand and your in the wilderness by yourself. HA

Jim

Jackson Kayak Fishing Team

In addition to Randy W winning his, Jonn and I and Randy D and Ron P all have them and love them. That's all I can think of for now but I know Jonn knows a few others downstate that have them. Check the Jackson site for all the videos and features.

We have all worked on customizing some aspects whether it's anchor systems, decals (mine looks a little Nascar-ish) or whatever, we can help if you buy one.

Buy another brand and your in the wilderness by yourself. HA

Jim

Jackson Kayak Fishing Team

One of my questions was about the anchor system. I watched the promo video, and saw how it was done with the dog leash and chain, is that the standard way of doing it? If you purchase the elite, does it come equipped with these, or just prepared for you to do yourself? I would probably use it most on the Fox, West branch of the Dupage, and FP lakes. I am debating between the Coosa or the Day Tripper. Also, I fish almost entirely with a fly rod, so obviously stability, the ability to stand is most important, but I do like the carrying capacity of the Day Tripper. Thanks, Ryan

the dog leash may be a standard way to anchor, but we don't like the dog leash. Too cumbersome when lifting the anchor off the bottom. We use a simple small cleat to hold the anchor line. I believe it cost around $2 and works great.

Ryan, I bought the Coosa mostly due to its ability to allow me to anchor and then stand and fly fish. If you are die-hard fly fisherman, then the Coosa will work great. Any more questions, just holler.

the dog leash may be a standard way to anchor, but we don't like the dog leash. Too cumbersome when lifting the anchor off the bottom. We use a simple small cleat to hold the anchor line. I believe it cost around $2 and works great.

Ryan, I bought the Coosa mostly due to its ability to allow me to anchor and then stand and fly fish. If you are die-hard fly fisherman, then the Coosa will work great. Any more questions, just holler.

Gotcha. Do you just attach a line and anchor to the cleat, and and just drop it and bring it in by hand? Maybe a pic if you wouldnt mind? Also, how do you think it handles on open water, such as a Forest Preserve size lake. I've just read a few things about them not being to good in the wind, or paddling upstream. Thanks again for your time. Ryan

Concerning the anchor.........I have a short section of rope attached to two sections of chain. Then I tie off end of the anchor rope somewhere in the boat. Then, I take the rope and insert it into the cleat (the cleat is mounted right next to my seat). When I need to drop anchor, I simply lift the rope out of the cleat and the anchor goes down to the bottom. When I want to move, I simply pull the anchor rope until the chain is up onto the grooves of the boat at the stern that are there for the anchor to sit in. Once the anchor is up, it simply takes a second to put the rope back in the cleat. I will try to get a picture posted asap.

I have not had it much on lakes yet. Jim J. has..........maybe he will post.

Hi Ryan,

I've had my Coosa for several months now, and absolutely love it. I've spent a considerable amount of time on both lakes/ponds, and the Vermillion river. The design is well thought out, and everything on the boat just "works". I personally like investing in products that simply do what you want them to, and for me the Coosa is just that.

I don't think you would be happy with the day tripper for a primary fishing boat. The Coosa has plent of storage space, both below the deck and on top. You could easily do a 1 or 2 night camping float trip with the cargo space. The casting platform is large, it's easy to get in and out of the boat, and the seat is comfortable all day long.

I'm still using the dog leash/drag chain for rivers and it is acceptable. I've moved to using a canoe anchor for lakes and ponds with soft bottoms.

If you are around Central IL, you are welcome to take mine out for a day.

I haven't seen a better lake/river boat for the money. Good Luck with your decision.