Big Lake Smallies

mattyvac

I'm kind of tired of fishing off the walkways above the water of Lake Michigan, and I'm looking for ways to get into the available fish. Maybe I'm looking for something that isn't there, but I'd love to find wadeable water that might produce. I've pretty much flogged the shore line as much as I want, and I've always wondered how to approach walking into some productive areas, if they exist.

Anyone have any luck getting into the water - not in a boat?

Anyone have any luck getting into the water - not in a boat?

Yak/canoe isn't a terrible option. You have to pick and choose your days according to weather but there are days when it's like glass that you could take a canoe across to the michigan side lol. The only places along shore that you can access the water safely are the beaches a.k.a barren desolate underwater deserts lol. I have tried it by hollywood blvd and then by the north ave boathouse many years ago and caught a few gobies near that mini lighthouse/breakwall but never any bass. Problem is that there isn't any structure, rock piles or drop offs near the beaches.

I think unless you are very good at swimming and don't care if your gear takes a plunge or sinks to the bottom when you must abandon it to stay afloat I wouldn't consider wading into the lake anywhere. The drop offs are too steep, there is often times a current and even when it is clear water the depth perception is off looking into water